-
Full replacement of knoppix username,uid,groupname,gid.
Hello,
I've been hacking knoppix a bit, hoping to eventually add boot line options that will allow you to define the username, uid, groupname, gid at bootup and then have knoppix cleanly load an environment for that user (rather than the koppix username/uid). I haven't got to the boot option reading yet, but have found most of the relevant places (knoppix-autoconfig, etc) where such information must be changed.
The one thing I haven't found is exactly where and how the /home/knoppix directory is mounted at boot, and how to modify this to generically mount /home/foo instead.
Pointers would be appreciated - if there is interest I would be happy to fold this back to Klaus or this forum if I can do this cleanly.
Nathan
-
Re: Full replacement of knoppix username,uid,groupname,gid.

Originally Posted by
nosknoppix
Hello,
I've been hacking knoppix a bit, hoping to eventually add boot line options that will allow you to define the username, uid, groupname, gid at bootup and then have knoppix cleanly load an environment for that user (rather than the koppix username/uid). I haven't got to the boot option reading yet, but have found most of the relevant places (knoppix-autoconfig, etc) where such information must be changed.
The one thing I haven't found is exactly where and how the /home/knoppix directory is mounted at boot, and how to modify this to generically mount /home/foo instead.
Pointers would be appreciated - if there is interest I would be happy to fold this back to Klaus or this forum if I can do this cleanly.
Nathan
Hi,
I've done it successfully.
You need to look at a number of files. Let us start one by one: -
First file to look at is "miniroot.gz". You will have to modify the file "linuxrc" in its root directory.
(After uncompressing and mounting it. If you don't know, then read on - mount boot.img file to some directory e.g. "mount -t msdos -o loop boot.img /mnt/test". Then "cd /mnt/test", "cp miniroot.gz <location>" preferable on harddisk. Then "umount /mnt/test". Unzip miniroot.gz - "gunzip miniroot.gz". Then mount it "mount -o loop miniroot /mnt/test" or whatever. Make necessary changes to it then "umount /mnt/test". Then "gzip miniroot". The mount the boot.img - "mount -t msdos -o loop boot.img /mnt/test". Then "cp miniroot.gz /mnt/test". When asked overwrite it. Then "umount /mnt/test" and you are done with changes.).
The "/etc/passwd", "/etc/shadow", "/etc/shadow", "/etc/mtab", "/etc/fstab" will be of interest to you.
If you are changing the name of compressed filesystem from "KNOPPIX" to something else then you'll have to fix the symlinks in directory w.r.t. to your compressed filesystem's name as well as "/etc/fstab" and "/etc/mtab" accordingly.
First try these then tell the progress.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi,
I changed as Raj said, its working good,
I also had to change some things in the init.d.
its working good but the problem starts when I try to get into init 5.
the result is the gray screen of X windows.
if I su to the new user and write startx its working.
what do I missing to make init 5 work also ?
thanks
-
Junior Member
registered user
reply to myself
Hi,
Im posting this in case someone will do a search after encountering the same problem as mine hopefully it will help.
to make the renme of the username and comppressed file work you ave to change in addition to the files above the file /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
if you want X to work you need to edit /etc/init.d/xsession also and change the username and fields.
thanks for this great forum and software!
-
Re: reply to myself
There are couple of more files to look at. For example, "/etc/sudoers, /etc/automount.sh, /etc/group, /usr/share/knoppix-terminalserver/template/miniroot/*, the knoppix installer scripts i.e. knx-hdinstall and knoppix-installer". In fact you will have to go through each and every shell script carefully to remove any traces of user "knoppix".
Update with the progress....
Similar Threads
-
By sakiZ in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-14-2006, 01:17 PM
-
By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-16-2005, 12:00 PM
-
By stclaus in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 04:49 PM
-
By Jameson in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-31-2005, 08:16 AM
-
By ERsKA in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350
$325.00

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00