Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Where is Lilo?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Where is Lilo?

    I installed Knoppix to my hdb drive, but several pieces were missing, so I simply cleared the drive. Lilo still comes up, and when it asked me where I wanted it, I chose the MBR. Where in my Windows 98 partition (hda1) might the MBR be? Or is it somewhere else? How do I get rid of Lilo?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Where is Lilo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    ... Where in my Windows 98 partition (hda1) might the MBR be? ....
    The MBR is the first sector of the bootable hard drive (normally hda1). It shares this space with the partition table, which is at the end of the sector. It is not part of any Windows partition. There is a boot loader installed at the beginning of a bootable Windows partition, it's usually reached by a small routine that windows installs in the MBR or can be reached by Lilo, Grub or Smart Boot Manager or XOSL (or any other boot loader).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    I installed Knoppix to my hdb drive, but several pieces were missing, so I simply cleared the drive. Lilo still comes up, and when it asked me where I wanted it, I chose the MBR. ...... Or is it somewhere else? How do I get rid of Lilo?
    If you have installed Lilo to the MBR, you can get rid of it by installing something else over it. The MSDOS command FDISK has an option fdisk /mbr that rewrites the MBR, but fdisk seems to be missing from my XP install. Other boot loaders will install something in the MBR; if you get the installer for Smart Boot Manager you can install that to the MBR (it will fit completely in the MBR) and use that to boot windows and/or Linux. I use SBM or XOSL on systems to load multiple OSs. I find this much cleaner than using Lilo; you just let Lilo install to the Linux partition rather than to the MBR, then you never have to worry about removing Lilo or editing config files and reinstalling it.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Might be a bit off-topic but it's the first time I see this problem at someonelse othe than me:
    but fdisk seems to be missing from my XP install
    I have the same problem with my XP Pro install. On an WIn 98 floppy boot disk I have fdisk but it reports a wrong size of my HD (120GB). It says it's only around 50 GB. I searched the MS site and found out that fdisk won't work with HDs bigger than 64GB but there's a patched version of fdisk that can do that. I downloaded it yet it says it has to be run in MS-DOS mode. Ok, I boot in MS-DOS mode, try to run it again and..."incorrect version of MS-DOS".

    So, if I want to run fdisk and get the desired effects, what on Earth should I do? Of course, there are tools like Partition Magic but what if I want to do it in MS-DOS?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can boot with the XP cd into recovery console and give the commands fixboot and fixmbr.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by harken
    .... On an WIn 98 floppy boot disk I have fdisk but it reports a wrong size of my HD (120GB). It says it's only around 50 GB. I searched the MS site and found out that fdisk won't work with HDs bigger than 64GB but there's a patched version of fdisk that can do that....
    Actually, many versions of Fdisk will partition drives larger than 64 gig, but they lie to the user about how big the drives (and partitions) are! They can be used if you just don't believe the reported sizes (which is how I formatted my first large drives). And, you'll find that the version you have from Win98 just isn't gonna make NTFS partitions (if you want them). There are different tools in XP, but it's a real pain for those of us who learned the ins and outs of fdisk, since the tools work completely differently (but what would you expect from MS).

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    There are different tools in XP, but it's a real pain for those of us who learned the ins and outs of fdisk, since the tools work completely differently (but what would you expect from MS).
    Indeed, I learned pretty well to fdisk but since XP the partitioning of disks looks like a nightmare. Some might say that the installation CD does it for you. Ok, what if I don't want to (or can't) do it that way?
    Damn, this kind of things have built up my list of reasons for I wanna dump Windows. Now I'm getting used more and more to Debian and even if you "get your hands dirty" you'll eventually make it run like a dream (compared to the MS nightmare).

    Long live Linus!

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. help with LILO [again]
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:08 AM
  3. Where's LILO?
    By Simon_Haddad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 08:07 PM
  4. lilo vs. gag
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 06:26 PM
  5. lilo help
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 03:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


4x Micron 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC RDIMM MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2B2 (256GB) – FOR PARTS picture

4x Micron 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC RDIMM MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2B2 (256GB) – FOR PARTS

$880.00



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



(Lot of 8) Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-12800R DDR3-1600 Server RAM M393B2G70BH0-CK0 picture

(Lot of 8) Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-12800R DDR3-1600 Server RAM M393B2G70BH0-CK0

$129.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Micron 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-2666V Desktop RAM MTA16ATF2G64AZ-2G6E1 picture

Micron 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-2666V Desktop RAM MTA16ATF2G64AZ-2G6E1

$140.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39