Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: problems with Knoppix recognizing new fresh nothing-on-it hd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    problems with Knoppix recognizing new fresh nothing-on-it hd

    I made a image of my stuff on to DVD using knoppix dvd burn, I bought a brand spanking new hd (80 meg ) at a computer show, I want to use knoppix to dump all the info on the DVD on to the new HD, On com cable 1 I have ONLY the new hd connected on the end of cable, no slave, with jumper set to master ( other com cable has dvdrom reading knoppix with a dvd writer as slave....they are recognized, no problem there) Knoppix doesnt recognize, I think, the hd... the boot up sequence mentions enabling DMA for a "Hda" thinking it IS recognizint the HD ( the bios I think is recognizing the new hd, cuz it mentions sectors and stuff like that ) when I open this hda in konquerer and when I try to transfer files off DVD writer to new hd ( hda ) I get a flag saying " access denied"
    how can I for sure know knop IS recognizing the new hd, how can I get the capability to transfer files, knop should say hd size right?? IT doesn't say nothing
    please help
    Randy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Two things:-

    1). A brand new drive may be unformatted and with no partition table, you need to use a tool like QTparted or similar to make a partition and then format that partition.

    2). Knoppix boot from CD does not mount drives as read-write - only read only, this is to help inexperienced users from destroying stuff, or attempting to write to NTFS partitions (a define no-go)

    If it's just the latter, you can remount a drive using:-

    mount -o remount,rw /dev/hdax

    - Hope this helps a bit.

    I'm a noob, so hopefully others will reply and help (or correct me if I'm wrong!)

    Stoo.....

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with Knoppix recognizing Trendnet Wireless PCI card
    By ApocalypticChaos in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 01:15 AM
  2. Problems recognizing soundcard
    By oceans11 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 06:59 AM
  3. Knoppix not recognizing my display (flickering)
    By gmmiddle in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:49 PM
  4. Some fresh ideas
    By vlader2004 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:04 AM
  5. Knoppix Not Recognizing VIA Onboard Lan
    By Encrypted_File in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC picture

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC

$27.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code picture

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code

$108.09