Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HELP!! I think Knoppix murdered my computer!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    HELP!! I think Knoppix murdered my computer!!

    I have a Knoppix 3.7 CD-ROM, which runs ok, although slowly, on my Win 98 notebook. I just bought a new notebook with XP Home, and thought I'd see how Knoppix works on it. It started going through all the boot-up messages, but eventually it died. I have a wide-screen, and noticed the problem occurred when it was listing out some screen resolutions. None of them matched my 1200x800. Anyway, the computer is totally stuck. The CD stopped spinning, and it's still in the machine. I can't get it out or shut off the computer. The screen echoes back my keystrokes, but that's about it. It doesn't respond to anything else.

    Is there any kind of magic keystroke or something I can use to bring my machine back to life. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pry the CD out with a screwdriver!!

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    no. just remove powerplug and battery.
    then you carefully use (push straight in) a straightened paperclip in the little round hole (1mm 1/32") .
    this will release the catch and let you remove the cd.
    try booting with vga=normal (No-framebuffer mode, but X).
    this should normally give you X,it might look somewhat (extremly) weird.
    read more here on "cheatcodes"
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    Removing the powerplug and battery were exactly what I was too chicken to do, but I did it. When I plugged the the cord back into the computer and turned it on, I quickly hit the CD eject button, and the CD tray opened up. What a relief! Once I get my nerve back, I'll try the suggestion about the vga setting. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Running KNOPPIX on a computer with 64 MB RAM
    By shutdown in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 11:34 AM
  2. Computer First Aid Using Knoppix
    By namnemet in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:05 AM
  3. Installing Knoppix on a old a$$ computer.
    By kb in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 04:26 AM
  4. knoppix and new computer
    By markleong in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. Knoppix broke my computer...
    By lnxusr in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W picture

Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W

$200.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Super Micro 113M-3 Server Intel Pre Owned Tested And Working picture

Super Micro 113M-3 Server Intel Pre Owned Tested And Working

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99