OK, I figured it out. I just had to add "1280x1024" to my "Modes" line in XF86Config-4. I just didn't know that XF86Config-4 was THE XF86Config to change (been a while since I had to mess with this stuff...)
Thanks anyways.
When I previously ran from the CD, I would force Knoppix to start my GeForce4Ti4600 card in 1280x1024, 24-bit mode by using the boot options "screen" and "depth". Now, after installing Knoppix to my HD, I can only get X to run in 1024x768, 24-bit mode. In the bootup messages, I can see that when I use the boot option "screen=1280x1024", Knoppix says: "Using modes '1280x1024' '1024x768' ...(etc)" but from the KDE "Configure - Desktop" dialog, there is no "1280x1024" selection available in the "Screen" drop-down box, and the highest it can let me choose is 1024x768.
Any ideas on why the boot options worked when I ran Knoppix from CD, but now no longer work when I run from HD??
OK, I figured it out. I just had to add "1280x1024" to my "Modes" line in XF86Config-4. I just didn't know that XF86Config-4 was THE XF86Config to change (been a while since I had to mess with this stuff...)
Thanks anyways.
marktam264,
A "common" trick, is to boot the Live CD, and if something works in the Live CD, but NOT in your install, then copy / change your hard drive installed XF86Config-4 file with what is used in the Live CD version... Not sure why the hard drive install didnt obtain the same information, like you said, the 1280x1024 line, but, this practice can be used on more serious problems...
Mostly, this "resolve" can be used when you change "something" that hoses your hard drive install, this can get you back...
Glad you resolved it on your own, and got it working
Ms. Cuddles

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$483.99
Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$484.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99