Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
Where, and how, would I go about locating these "logs" ? .....
I was talking about logs in the hardware firewall. Different routers have different logging features. Some have none or next to none. The Linksys I first used had minimal internal logs but a really slick feature that would let you send the log information to a computer on the network where you could collect it (unfortunately, they didn't include the logging program on the CD and made it very hard to find on the website. On the other hand, some really nice thrid party software was written to take advantage of this feature.) I really likled the logs I saw on several friend's D-link routers and picked up a D-link 514 last November. However, while some other Dlink routers do keep good logs, the 514 is awful. The web interface log is OK, but what it e-mails to you when the buffer fills is useless. Because of this and several other serious problems, I can't recommend the Dlink 514.

I don't know about Guarddog logs. I use older versions of TPF or Kerio on my local systems. I could set these up to keep pretty extensive logs, but I would hopefully never see the traffic I'm talking about on them anyway, as it doesn't get past a properly configured hardware firewall. And I would not consider running without my hardware (router) firewall, even with my software firewalls.