Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Too Many Irrelevant Search Hits

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    I didn't mean to insult your experience in doing searches. But since all of the forum subjects lists include the phrase "mark all topics read" and this seldom appears elsewhere, why do you not just force this string as a way to tell the search feature to only return subject pages? Like this, for example, to search for gentoo amoung the subjects.
    It took me a while to figure out what you were saying but if I understand you correctly you are telling me how to conduct a Google search, which I know how to do. I just wish I could search the same way within this forum. Anyways, thanks for your reply.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    you do use this search page dont you ? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php and not just the little box in the forum which doesnt do searches that well.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    [It took me a while to figure out what you were saying but if I understand you correctly you are telling me how to conduct a Google search, which I know how to do. I just wish I could search the same way within this forum. Anyways, thanks for your reply.
    No, I'm not really saying to do a Google search. I'm saying to use the normal search function at the top of each knoppix.net page. Yea, the search is powered by Google. And you could do the same thing from www.google.com if you use the Google syntax that tells it just to return hits from a particular domain. But personally I'm to lazy to do that, I would use the search link on the knoppix.net page, make sure the radio bitton selected to search only knoppix.net (unless I wanted to search the entire web) and type in my search. And it turns out that rather than "mark all topics read", the string "all topics" is unique enough to limit you to just subject searches. (Of course, now that I've used these terms in this thread, it will come up as a hit too if the other key words that you are searching for also appear in this thread, but that's the nature of searches).

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    you do use this search page dont you ? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php and not just the little box in the forum which doesnt do searches that well.
    I do now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. IP address search
    By linnerd40 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
  2. Search for a Presentationknoppix
    By Mind in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:02 PM
  3. Web search tools?
    By Henk Poley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$594.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



4x Various Brands 8.5

4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"

$24.99



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips picture

Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips

$89.00



Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art picture

Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art

$225.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Adjustable Rolling Computer Cart, Mobile Standing Workstation, Mobile Cart picture

Adjustable Rolling Computer Cart, Mobile Standing Workstation, Mobile Cart

$211.28