Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Newbie can't complete boot up

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7

    Newbie can't complete boot up

    I put the CD in reboot, get Knoppix welcome screen, hit enter I get Tux and the programs starts to load. Shows what it's detected. Then the screen goes blank, light on the keyboard goes out and after a bit the CD stops spining and it just sits there. The USB optical mouse has power, if I move it I can hear the CD spin. No keyboard, black screen.

    This is my first attempt with linux. Can anyone help?
    TIA
    Ken

    Knoppix v3.2 2003-03-30
    Win XPpro, 2.4 gig Intel, 512 RAM

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Newbie can't complete boot up

    Take a look at the docs, especially the "cheatcodes".

    And uhm, if you have a video problem I would suggest posting about your videocard...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7
    Henk

    Thanks for the quick reply. I have looked at the cheatcodes by hitting F2 at the start but not sure what if anything I need to change. I could change to lang=us but would it stop the keyboard from functioning if I didn't?
    I don't believe it's a video problem. I have an Nvidia GeForce 4 card. I can see the boot screen.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try booting with a cheat code of:

    boot: knoppix lang=us vga=normal

    boot: knoppix lang=us fb800x600

    boot: knoppix failsafe

    The keyboard still works the light going out would be the num lock key. IIRC KDE starts with the num lock key off by default you have to change a setting for it to be turned on at startup of KDE.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I can see the boot screen.
    The boot screen is totally different than the video mode that knoppix runs in, it sound like a video problem to me, no video after hardware detection.

    What kind of monitor do you have?

    rock

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Stephen and Rock,
    I'm using 18 flat panel DVI input with 1280x1024 native resolution.
    I'll try the cheat settings you suggested. Also understand about the num lock as it goes out as soon as the boot screen starts.
    Thanks,
    Ken

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Try booting with a cheat code of:

    boot: knoppix lang=us vga=normal

    boot: knoppix lang=us fb800x600

    boot: knoppix failsafe

    The keyboard still works the light going out would be the num lock key. IIRC KDE starts with the num lock key off by default you have to change a setting for it to be turned on at startup of KDE.
    OK I tried all 3 settings none of them worked vga=normal put the screen into powersaver mode i.e. what happens when I'm not using the computer for a while and changed the boot screen. Keyboard is working, at least the num lock and cap lock lights show when pressing them. So I'm left with 2 theories:
    1) This build can't deal with digital video input to the monitor Is this a known issue that I missed?
    2)I have a corrupt copy of Knoppix.
    It did take me 2 tries to get a complete download. The second is the right size 700mg.
    I do have the analog input cable that came with the monitor but currently only have the digital cable plugged in.

    Ken

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    did you get the prompt with "knoppix 2" ? If yes, it relates to the XFree86.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    did you get the prompt with "knoppix 2" ? If yes, it relates to the XFree86.
    Didn't try that one and got no prompt. Just did the ones Stephen listed plus knoppix desktop=kde. I figured that was the default but have no clue as I can't get that far.
    Tried your suggestion but the boot stopped at:
    root@tty1[/]# and waited for input. I have none to give! lol Sorry, I am new at this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    That is the command prompt. So it has been confirmed to be XFree86 related. This is the weakest link of linux and quite possible that your monitor is not supported.

    What video card you have ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Complete newbie question re Knoppix customisation
    By MattS in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM
  2. Complete newbie question re Knoppix
    By MattS in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
  3. Complete and utter newbie q. Display settings
    By 5thelephant in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 09:01 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 06:16 PM
  5. Need help for internet; complete newbie!
    By MusicLaunch in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch

$175.00