I am running Knoppix 3.7 to recover from a damaged Windows installation and I need to access the Windows Registry. Does Knoppix have a way to access and modify the Registry? Thanks.
I am running Knoppix 3.7 to recover from a damaged Windows installation and I need to access the Windows Registry. Does Knoppix have a way to access and modify the Registry? Thanks.
Yes it's possible to edit the windows registry from within Knoppix using a tool called "chntpw". I go over this in detail in Knoppix Hacks, but here's the gist of it:
Download the chntpw deb from http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/chntpw
Extract the chntpw binary by turning the deb into a tarball:
Then untar it. Make sure the windows partition is mounted read/write (if it's NTFS you'll need to make sure you have already set up captive-ntfs). Then you can use the chntpw utility to access a specific hive (usually you'll want something like the SAM or SOFTWARE hive under winnt\system32\config):Code:alien --to-tgz chntpw_0.99.2-1_i386.deb
As you can see I just left the chntpw utility in my home directory. The chntpw tool has an integrated help you can use to get a handle on how to use it, but basically it's like navigating a filesystem. Once you are finished editing the registry, sync, and unmount your partition to make sure the changes stuck (extra important if you are using captive-ntfs). Also make a backup copy of the registry hive you are editing just in case.Code:/home/knoppix/chntpw SAM
hey, great tool, provided it works as one might expect.
however, concerning conversion to *.tar:
isn't it already a compressed *.tar if downloaded using this link:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/no....2.orig.tar.gz
?
have a nice day,
ulrich
Unfortunately, that is just a link to the original source in tarball form. There isn't a precompiled binary to be found there like with the .deb, so you would have to add a step of compiling chntpw.Originally Posted by ulrich
Just wondering, why do we need to turn it into a tarball? Can't we just install using dpkg?
You can if you are installed to a hard drive, but if you are running off of a Knoppix CD most Debian packages won't directly install, as all of /usr is read-only. I turn it into a tarball so I can just extract the binary I need into the home directory (which I can write to).Originally Posted by foamrotreturns

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$32.00
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Apple MAC SE/30 Computer M5119, Vintage, Logic & Analog boards + PSU Recapped
$850.00
Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator
$220.00
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
1979 vintage apple II 2 keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla
$500.00
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s
$319.99
vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us
$29.99