Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: lilo failed

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4

    lilo failed

    I have install knoppix to HDD used knx-install.After install lil to MBR.
    But after reboot,nothing happend,and I still enter windows.
    At last I used floopy to boot into knoppix,and modify /etc/lilo.conf,then run lilo ,but a error appeard," no /boot/boot.b found".How can I do

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Post your lilo.conf file please.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4

    lilo.conf

    boot=/dev/hda
    #map=/boot/map
    #install=/boot/boot.b
    vga=normal
    lba32
    prompt
    #timeout=50
    #message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=yk:bw:wk:yc
    # text:highlight:border:title
    # k black
    # b blue
    # g green
    # c cyan
    # r red
    # m magenta
    # y yellow
    # w white

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-from_knoppix_floppy
    label=knoppix
    initrd=/boot/minisys-from_knoppix_floppy.gz
    read-only
    append="vga=normal lang=tw ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init noapic apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix 2 desktop=icewm"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #when I run lilo
    system show me " /boot/boot.b is not exist.
    At last I modify the lilo.conf in the Redhat ,It is work now.
    But It is so pity that I must use Redhat to launch knoppix.
    Plz give a hand.
    Thanz.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: lilo.conf

    Quote Originally Posted by Terryshi
    #when I run lilo
    system show me " /boot/boot.b is not exist.
    At last I modify the lilo.conf in the Redhat ,It is work now.
    But It is so pity that I must use Redhat to launch knoppix.
    Plz give a hand.
    Thanz.
    Not sure I understand. You have a redhat install and you use LILO to boot redhat and knoppix? Do you have a screen that you can choose your operating system from?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I don't see a root=/dev/hdaX line in your lilo.conf file, where X is the partition number on device /dev/hda

    FYI, the boot=/dev/hda line will write lilo to the mbr, so knoppix's lilo conf will control booting of the system.

    I use a separate boot loader, so on my system I have two very similar lines in my lilo.conf file:

    boot=/dev/hda7
    root=/dev/hda7

    if you want to put knoppix's lilo in your mbr then you would use something like:

    boot=/dev/hda
    root=/dev/hdaX

    again X represents the partition where knoppix is installed, without the root=/dev/hdaX line /boot/boot.b will not be found.

    HTH

    rock

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    #try this lilo.conf edit where necessary


    vga=791

    lba32

    boot=/dev/hda

    # Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
    # hda2 o hda3 or etc etc here goes your knoppix partition

    root=/dev/hda2


    # Installs the specified file as the new boot sector
    # You have the choice between: bmp, compat, menu and text
    # Look in /boot/ and in lilo.conf(5) manpage for details
    #
    install=/boot/boot-menu.b

    # Specifies the location of the map file
    #
    map=/boot/map


    # Specifies the number of deciseconds (0.1 seconds) LILO should
    # wait before booting the first image.
    #
    delay=100

    # You can put a customized boot message up if you like. If you use
    # `prompt', and this computer may need to reboot unattended, you
    # must specify a `timeout', or it will sit there forever waiting
    # for a keypress. `single-key' goes with the `alias' lines in the
    # `image' configurations below. eg: You can press `1' to boot
    # `Linux', `2' to boot `LinuxOLD', if you uncomment the `alias'.
    #
    # message=/boot/bootmess.txt
    prompt
    timeout=150
    # prompt
    # single-key
    # delay=100
    # timeout=100

    # Kernel command line options that apply to all installed images go
    # here. See: The `boot-prompt-HOWO' and `kernel-parameters.txt' in
    # the Linux kernel `Documentation' directory.
    #
    # append=""
    append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    # Boot up Linux by default.
    #
    default=myknoppix

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
    label=myknoppix
    # initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-only
    # restricted
    # alias=1


    # If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment the
    # following lines, changing the device name on the `other' line to
    # where your other OS' partition is.
    #
    # other=/dev/hda4
    # label=HURD
    # restricted
    # alias=3
    other=/dev/hda1
    label="Windows(hda1)"

    # if you have rh in hda3
    #edit the following line as necessary
    image =/mnt/hda3/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14
    label = rh80-hda3
    read-only
    root = /dev/hda3

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4

    lilo finished,but...

    Thank you for your help,everything is ok now.I can boot directly.
    But I still can't use chinese language in knoppix,but taiwan language support is work correctly.Does knoppix include chinese simplied support?
    How can I setup locales and i18n etc.I am a newbie in i18n.But if i can't input chinese word,knoppix is useless to me at all.I am so sad now!
    Plz help me.Thanz!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I am not 100% certain of this but I believe that Knoppix does not have Chinese language support. I have seen it mentioned several times throughout the forums. Unfortunately I haven't heard of any resolutions for this either.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    Try K
    Settings
    Control center
    Regional Access
    Country Regions and language
    country
    add language

    if it is not there download it
    you must be connected and then
    run in a console
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kde-i18n-zhcngb2312

    return Control Center. Chinese simplified must be there.

    apt-get is easy with synaptic (a gui frontend)

    apt-get install synaptic

    then run
    synaptic

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. Remastering 3.6, failed :(
    By trig in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 05:32 PM
  3. Formatting of failed?
    By dresac in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
  4. Lilo loader failed to install...now how to load from GRUB>
    By nxumdon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 03:38 AM
  5. Boot failed
    By Laz in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts picture

Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts

$69.99