-
How to avoid setting up network card and ASDL every time?
Hi, a sincerely thank you to all the people who had given valuable advice or suggestions on the use of this Live Knoppix CD.
I am a newbie who have just started using the Live Knoppix CD for a week. Though the info I found in the forum I was able to setup my ASDL connection to the Internet.
However I cannot manage to save my internet configuration, ie. my setup of the ISP address, my login user name and password. I tried several times to save the persistent Knoppix home directory in my flash drive and then the Knoppix configuration in either the flash drive or on to a floppy disk, but every time when I start up the Live Knoppix CD (by knoppix home=/dev/sda1 myconfig=/mnt/sda1) I still have to redo the Network card configuration and then the ASDL/PPPOE configuration before I am connected into the Internet. I tried both the Knoppix version 3.3 Live CD and the Knoppix version 3.7 Live CD but still with no success to get my Internet connection up without redoing the network card and ADSL setups.
Have I missed any vital steps?
I hope some of you experienced Knoppix users may be able to help me with some advice.
Thanking you all in anticipation.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
There are extremely inexpensive DSL/Cable home routers that will solve this and several other problems for you (even some problems that you might not know you have). They frequently cost as little as $10 U.S. after rebates (although I paid $100 for my first one a few years ago and it was a bargan at that price). The device takes care of all DSL login for you, and when you boot Knoippix i(or any other OS on any machine on your local network) it assigns you a n IP address on your local network. Boot and you are on the network, no extra software needed in Knoppix, Windows or any other common OS. In addition these devices provide a hardware firewall, making your system much safer. I wouldn't run on a high speed connection without one.
-
how to avoid setting up network card and ASDL every time
Once set up, you only have to open a command console window and type:
pon dsl-provider
for connection,
poff
for disconnection
Good luck
Bert Rehn
Similar Threads
-
By GottaBuild in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
-
By pearman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
-
By chris-harry in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:27 AM
-
By tempo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 09:23 PM
-
By softgun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

2‑Pack SFP+ 10G BiDi BX‑U/BX‑D 1270/1330nm 10km | Cisco Compatible | ALVIRON
$48.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99