Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to avoid setting up network card and ASDL every time?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1

    How to avoid setting up network card and ASDL every time?

    Hi, a sincerely thank you to all the people who had given valuable advice or suggestions on the use of this Live Knoppix CD.
    I am a newbie who have just started using the Live Knoppix CD for a week. Though the info I found in the forum I was able to setup my ASDL connection to the Internet.

    However I cannot manage to save my internet configuration, ie. my setup of the ISP address, my login user name and password. I tried several times to save the persistent Knoppix home directory in my flash drive and then the Knoppix configuration in either the flash drive or on to a floppy disk, but every time when I start up the Live Knoppix CD (by knoppix home=/dev/sda1 myconfig=/mnt/sda1) I still have to redo the Network card configuration and then the ASDL/PPPOE configuration before I am connected into the Internet. I tried both the Knoppix version 3.3 Live CD and the Knoppix version 3.7 Live CD but still with no success to get my Internet connection up without redoing the network card and ADSL setups.

    Have I missed any vital steps?

    I hope some of you experienced Knoppix users may be able to help me with some advice.

    Thanking you all in anticipation.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    There are extremely inexpensive DSL/Cable home routers that will solve this and several other problems for you (even some problems that you might not know you have). They frequently cost as little as $10 U.S. after rebates (although I paid $100 for my first one a few years ago and it was a bargan at that price). The device takes care of all DSL login for you, and when you boot Knoippix i(or any other OS on any machine on your local network) it assigns you a n IP address on your local network. Boot and you are on the network, no extra software needed in Knoppix, Windows or any other common OS. In addition these devices provide a hardware firewall, making your system much safer. I wouldn't run on a high speed connection without one.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    how to avoid setting up network card and ASDL every time

    Once set up, you only have to open a command console window and type:

    pon dsl-provider

    for connection,

    poff

    for disconnection

    Good luck
    Bert Rehn

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble setting date/time - asking for root password
    By GottaBuild in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
  2. setting time zone: Big problem with KDE ! This must be a bug
    By pearman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
  3. Every time I log in... I get the "Desktop Setting Wizar
    By chris-harry in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:27 AM
  4. time-zone setting doesn't work in Knoppix_3.6_EN
    By tempo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 09:23 PM
  5. network card reconfiguring each time at boot bug - solved?
    By softgun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00