Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Error booting with 256 Mb memory

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    Error booting with 256 Mb memory

    Hi,

    I have problem booting up my PC with the Linux cd. My PC has 256 Mb memory and it prompt me something such as unable to load file system.

    Any idea why is it so? The knoppix.net said it could work with PC with 128 Mb memory.

    Regards

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You have plenty of memory. Did you burn the file correctly? did you confirm the md5 sum? Did you burn it at a slow speed like 4x? Did you follow the instructions in the downloading faq reached by the documentation link at the top of this page?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    You have plenty of memory. Did you burn the file correctly? did you confirm the md5 sum? Did you burn it at a slow speed like 4x? Did you follow the instructions in the downloading faq reached by the documentation link at the top of this page?
    The CD is working fine. I have no problem getting to work with other PC with 512 Mb memory. I had even manage to get it to boot on a PC with 384 Mb memory. However I try it with 2 PC with 256 Mb memory but I can't get it to boot.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by junwen
    The CD is working fine. I have no problem getting to work with other PC with 512 Mb memory. I had even manage to get it to boot on a PC with 384 Mb memory. However I try it with 2 PC with 256 Mb memory but I can't get it to boot.
    I suspect that it is likely that you need to find the right combination of cheat codes for the system. I and many others have booted Knoppix on systems with 256 and less memory (I've booted it on 64 meg, it runs but is slow).

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47
    Have you tried "mem=256M" cheat code at the boot prompt? Please remember while giving this option while booting that you have exactly 256MB RAM. On most onboard vidoe based motherboards a part of RAM is shared by the VIDEO subset of motherboard. Deduct the amount of memory used by onboard memory controller (e.g. on i845 chipset motherboard 256-32 = 224 M)...

    Try and post the results..

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by raj1478
    Have you tried "mem=256M" cheat code at the boot prompt? Please remember while giving this option while booting that you have exactly 256MB RAM. On most onboard vidoe based motherboards a part of RAM is shared by the VIDEO subset of motherboard. Deduct the amount of memory used by onboard memory controller (e.g. on i845 chipset motherboard 256-32 = 224 M)...

    Try and post the results..
    Thanks for all th reply. I manage to resolve the problem by changing the CD ROM. So it turns out to be a CD ROM compatibility problem after all.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Zathras tell people "burn at 4x to avoid compatability issues". No one believe poor Zathras.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from 2GB USB Memory key
    By jasonl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 01:35 PM
  2. Booting Knoppix from a USB memory key in VMWare
    By grantonstar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 07:53 AM
  3. Memory Access Error on Bootup
    By admiral_kay in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 03:21 PM
  4. error on booting from cd
    By jason25 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 12:17 PM
  5. cannot boot: initrd extends beyond end of memory error
    By sanjay in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 11:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



VINTAGE Digital Equipment DEC 50-19464-02 2 MB 100 ns SIMM 5019464-02 picture

VINTAGE Digital Equipment DEC 50-19464-02 2 MB 100 ns SIMM 5019464-02

$40.00



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00