Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9

    Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

    I'm running knoppix on a laptop from the live CD.
    I've created a ext2 partition who acts as home directory.
    When i boot with "knoppix home=/dev/hda6" everything works ok except that I discovered something weird.
    When i look at the properties of the knoppix home directory it says "/ramdisk/home" so I suppose that the home directory is copied to ramdisk at startup?
    Is this right?

    What wonders me is, when I create something on the home directory and then reboot, at the reboot it's gone. Even when I do a "Save KNOPPIX configuration". Is this normal ?

    Rony

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Re: Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucodi
    I'm running knoppix on a laptop from the live CD.
    I've created a ext2 partition who acts as home directory.
    When i boot with "knoppix home=/dev/hda6" everything works ok except that I discovered something weird.
    When i look at the properties of the knoppix home directory it says "/ramdisk/home" so I suppose that the home directory is copied to ramdisk at startup?
    Is this right?

    What wonders me is, when I create something on the home directory and then reboot, at the reboot it's gone. Even when I do a "Save KNOPPIX configuration". Is this normal ?

    Rony

    I've the same problem (not only on a laptop) with Knoppix 3.8.1, if i put the home persistent directory image on a FAT32 filesystem all is rigth, but if i put the home persistent directory on e ext2 filesystem it does not work like a persistent directory...

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38
    I found that if I type myconfig=scan home=scan, lots of config settings are kept, but it still ain't perfect. The only files that I add to my system that stay permanently, are the ones I add to the desktop. All the others disappear in a mysterious fashion. I've got knoppix on a slave HD as a pmi, and start it using the cd. I'm also horribly new to this so apologies if it seems like the blind are leading the blind.

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent Home Directory on DVD
    By jm47048 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:01 AM
  3. Persistent Home Directory
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
  4. Create a persistent Knoppix home directory?
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
  5. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU picture

Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU

$525.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1U Server 5019C-WR X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 3.8Ghz 32GB RAM M.2 NVME   X picture

Supermicro 1U Server 5019C-WR X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 3.8Ghz 32GB RAM M.2 NVME X

$369.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00