-
Junior Member
registered user
Getting rid of CD-Rom Noise
Is there any way to reduce the noise from the CD-Rom drive when running Knoppix from CD?
I've been running it off my 52x CD-Rom and the noise is almost unbearable.
However when i boot it from an old P133 with a 8x CD-Rom, you can hardly hear any noise at all from the CD, it runs very quiet (although pretty slow).
Is it possible to decrease the speed at wich Knoppix accesses the CD? Like downclock the CD-Rom from 52x to 8x?
I really wouldnt mind the speedloss as long as I can get rid of the noise.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Getting rid of CD-Rom Noise

Originally Posted by
mithrill
Is there any way to reduce the noise from the CD-Rom drive when running Knoppix from CD?
As far as I know, there is not throttling software available under Linux. Under MS-DOS, there's SlowCD: http://www.ibsensoftware.com/files/SlowCD104.zip, which does come with asm-source.
Your other two options are to try burning a couple more discs (maybe other brands) that might be better-balanced, or find a Samsung CD-ROM drive; as far as I know, that's the only brand that has dynamic balancing. It's easy to tell which Samsung drives have this feature. They use steel shot for this, so the drives rattle when tilted or shaken (gently).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Getting rid of CD-Rom Noise
Code:
hdparm -E1 /dev/hdX
"hdparm -E" sets the the CD-ROM drive speed (DVD works also), I haven't found out if numbers correspond with speed (24x, 32x) numbers. -E3 is inaudible fast enough for DivX playback on my machine (48x12x48x CD-ReWriter).
-
Junior Member
registered user
noise
I tried "hdparm -E2 /dev/hdc" but i get an error, it says:
"/dev/hdc:
setting cdrom speed to 2
CDROM_SELECT_SPEED failed: Input / output error."
Is this maybe a feature only supported on some CD-Roms?
I also tried setting it to other speeds than 2 but still same error.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: noise

Originally Posted by
mithrill
I tried "hdparm -E2 /dev/hdc" but i get an error, it says:
"/dev/hdc:
setting cdrom speed to 2
CDROM_SELECT_SPEED failed: Input / output error."
Is this maybe a feature only supported on some CD-Roms?
I also tried setting it to other speeds than 2 but still same error.
Yes, could well be.
btw, did you have a CD in the drive? I have only tested with a CD inserted.
-
Junior Member
registered user
noise
yeah, i had a CD in the drive, it's the drive that i'm booting/running Knoppix on.
Well, guess i'll be taking a look at thouse samsung cd-roms with noise reduction.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR
$47.99

Cisco SFP-25G-SR-S 10-3227-03 25GBASE-SR SFP28 850nm 100m MMF LC Transceiver
$115.00

Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G/40G BASE SR-BiDi QSFP Transceiver 10-3317-03
$95.00

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00