Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: problems with partitioning

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    problems with partitioning

    Hi guy, first i just want to say, i really hate sounding like a troll or a lamer. but this is eating me alive.
    i am following the instructions to install knoppix on the hd, and i get to the point where i am partitioning the hd.
    tell me what i am doing wrong.

    create first partition at the beginning on the hd (primary partition) size 1gig (yes i am nuts) type linux swap.
    then create another primary partition size 17 gig, type linux
    then i do the linux partition as bootable, then i do a write on it.
    then quit
    but it keeps telling me that i didnt meet the requirements.
    so what am i doing wrong?
    please let me know

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Re: problems with partitioning

    Let's see... I seem to remember a year ago or so being stuck in a situation where the knoppix-installer said I didn't meet the requirements. I think I solved it (funny how quickly we forget) by NOT formatting my partitions ext3. I either reformatted everything in ext2, or just let knoppix-installer do it automatically.

    Sorry if this doesn't help; in short, I just remember something about ext3 being a problem, and ext2 being the solution.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    As many times as I've partitioned, petitioned, and gone through perdition, when I installed Knoppix to HD earlier this week I forgot to explicitly tell knopiix-installer to associate / with the one non-swap partition I was giving it.

    But surely you're more careful than I was, right?

    -- Ed

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    me, rool new at this.
    but i managed to get it to install with the
    sudo knoppix-installer

    i got past the requirements, with

    512mb ext3 AND 'active'
    256mb linux-swap
    9gb ext2

    the ext3 at the front
    plus set it active, like in fdisk for fat32

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    I just used my same Knoppix cd.....
    mind it hadn't quite finished booting into the dektop screen, so I was using one of the tty screens

    the
    sudo knoppix-installer
    was using the cfdisk program for the fdisking part.
    it looks nothing like the program I used earlier on the other computer.

    was it maybe the not quite booted up system or did I use a different command to what I think I used.
    ========
    tty screen knoppix-installer uses cfdisk
    kdm screen uses qtparted.....
    but also, while the "alert, partitions not correct" part looks the same...
    the qtparted prog is new to me. I wonder what changed /....

    the cfdisk doesn't seem to show differences between linux partition types.
    looking for ext2 / ext3
    setting a partition active

Similar Threads

  1. Partitioning HDD
    By bullshit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 03:10 PM
  2. partitioning
    By goober in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 03:49 AM
  3. Partitioning?
    By Kowood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 08:08 PM
  4. Help with partitioning
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:09 AM
  5. Partitioning
    By Buttersoft in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99