-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: I have the same problem- bios-> boot Seq. A,C or C,A

Originally Posted by
yoffedavid
I have the same problem- bios-> boot Seq. A,C or C,A
I tried to make a bootable floppy disk, but when i restard the computer i got message: boot feild...
How did you go about making the floppy.
-
I found the solution by using: Smart Boot Manager
I found the solution by using: Smart Boot Manager
I downloaded and installed to the boot partition (C:\) the Smart Boot Manager ver:3.6.4 and I select to boot from the CD-ROM
and the knoppix strted to run...
But, I had another problem: the Knoppix cd was running the configuration , and stop at the Knoppix background, and mouse.
I couldn't do anything more.
My P.c: Intel Pentium 100 MHZ, 64 MB RAM, Video card: ARK 1 MB RAM, HD: 3 GB free
M$-Windows 98, M$-Office 97 working O.K.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: I found the solution by using: Smart Boot Manager
Howdy yoffedavid,
Smart Boot Manager can run from a floppy as well ..., should just be a case of doing a "raw" copy to a floppy disc, changing the boot sequence to A, whatever ... inserting the floppy. The only problem that seems to crop up there, is the cdrom option choice going missing. Which happens to me sometimes. Someone on another board suggested that some modern cdroms are to quick for some bioses, that is, they fire up, then down, when the power is turned on, before SBM can get a chance to probe for them. But just keying the "eject" tray to fire it up while SMB is booting solves that.
So ... how come the floppy method didn't work ?, can't be your bios or SMB, as their working from a hdd install ?
On the freeze,
Have a look at the "Cheat Codes", there in a text file on the CD.
> knoppix opt opt opt opt=xxx opt=xxx etc <enter>
Look over the options and turn off every thing you don't need. A prompt should come up after the initial CD splash screen. You may just be having some sought of HW freeze (just quessing there).
>>
My P.c: Intel Pentium 100 MHZ, 64 MB RAM, Video card: ARK 1 MB RAM, HD: 3 GB free
>>
I haven't got the disc handy at present to have a good look, but look for some option that can enable a "text" mode session. It sounds like your specs may be a bit low for a full graphical LiveCD session.
I'll try and look into that, but someone else more knowing should be able to be more definite there ..., i'd be surprised if there wasn't a text mode option.
Possibly one of the "vga=xxx" settings woulds do that.
(/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt)
-- | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
----+-------------------------------------
256 | -769 -- 771 -- 773 -- 775
32k | -784 -- 787 -- 790 -- 793
64k | -785 -- 788 -- 791 -- 794
16M | -786 -- 789 -- 792 -- 795
There all positive decimal values, the dashes are just to force this My Opera dosen't deal with white space very well, if there's more than one space in a row. It will just wrap all over the place. Thus the dashes.
Hope thats not to muck yack for a quess 
jm
Similar Threads
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-27-2005, 09:07 AM
-
By Joris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 06:55 PM
-
By n2meg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-22-2003, 08:24 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 09:07 AM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Tei Inc 1977 CPU Assembly 13260 Circuit Board
$145.00

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264
$100.00

Vintage Microtek Megabit Rev 3 Memory Expansion Board 8-Bit ISA RAM Card IBM PC
$79.00

Intel i860 Microprocessor CPU Vintage A80860XR-33 Processor. 20 CPU’s
$999.00

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Lime Green iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working
$59.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh IIsi NuBus Adapter Card 820-0305-01 + Ethernet NB Card
$79.99

Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working
$55.55

Vintage Computer Adapter Board with Bracket
$19.00