Hello!

Before someone jumps in and tells you to take your question to the forum on damnsmalllinux.org, I see that you already have and don't have an answer yet.

For DSL-specific questions, that's going to be the best place by far to get answers. True, Kyle Rankin includes a section written by John Andrews (Mr. DSL) in the Knoppix-derivatives chapter of the book Knoppix Hacks.

But the DSL project didn't start, originally, as a Knoppix knock-off. And Andrews writes,

After putting so much effort and time into DSL, I am uncomfortable calling it a "Knoppix Hack."
I can't boot my DSL CD, so I can't check this for you, but see if the standard commands find and whereis are included. Many config files go into /etc, even in Debian-based distros (which can put hardware in funny places).

Speaking of Debian, apt has become one of its biggest selling points, so when you have questions along those lines, check Debian documentation.

Good luck!

-- Ed