Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Printer Problems-Knoppix3.7-HP 990c m Series

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    43

    Printer Problems-Knoppix3.7-HP 990c m Series

    Hi All,

    I do the following, to add this printer,

    settings/print manager/add/add printer/class which gives the wizard, I click next, but, all the back end options are greyed out. What is it with that..? Cheers.

    downdogWoof...

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    43
    Hi All,

    if I go to control center/peripherals/printers, I get the following error pop up,

    Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.

    Cheers.

    downdogWoof...

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    43
    Hi All,

    ok, found this tutorial. Very good.
    http://www.linuxcompatible.org/thread26981-1.html
    Printing went well. Thought maybe I'd clean the heads, so, went into control center, and finally clicked on printer tools and from there, chose clean heads. Got an error message at this point,

    The executable escputil cannot be found in your PATH environment variable. Make sure gimp-print is installed and that escputil is in your PATH.

    Sorry, wouldn't have a clue. Anyone here ever seen this..? Cheers.

    downdogWoof...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4
    I hate giving just links with little explanation because it makes me seem lazy or less helpful... but this site sums it up pretty well and their isn't much more I can add. Just look up your printer and it will give full instructions on how to set it up. Works very well and HP tends to have excellent linux support for their printers.

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...P-DeskJet_990C

    Then once you download the PPD file for your printer follow these instructions.

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html

    If their is anything you don't understand I'll do my best to help. Strange but true... I just finished setting up my printer with this site about an hour ago. Pretty easy and straight forword. Good Luck!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    No Printer -- And Can't Add One

    I was having the same trouble. Only this is worse. I went to the printer manager to try to add a printer. I open the menu selection to "add printer/class" and it is grayed out. So I can't do anything.

    NOW what do I do?

    sakiZ

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Got Printing -- How do I stop It?

    I did apt-get for the latest cupsys at which point the message came up that it was recommended to install the cupsys-driver-gimpprint, which I did.

    Now I see I have several print jobs in the queue. And I don't know how to turn them off.
    I've tried everything I can think of.

    sakiZ

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    68
    If CUPS is running, start your browser and type : http://localhost:631

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Fixed It

    I figured out what happened.

    I installed Abiword-gnome. It removed cupsys and replaced it with it's own printing method.

    Well, I didn't like that. "Apt-get install cupsys" fixed THAT. (Or, reinstall is more like it.)

    Now I have more methods to print than I know what to do with.

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. LaserJet 1200 series Laser printer
    By abrand888 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 07:27 PM
  2. Lexmark Z816 series printer drivers?
    By clarjon1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 10:46 PM
  3. Knoppix3.0 works - Knoppix3.3-3.4 doesnt work
    By walterma in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 03:22 PM
  4. Problems booting vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs without Knoppix3.3 CD
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 11:40 AM
  5. lpd printer problems
    By Bam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Macintosh PowerBook 100 Vintage Laptop MPN 100 w/ AC Adapter picture

Apple Macintosh PowerBook 100 Vintage Laptop MPN 100 w/ AC Adapter

$595.00



🔥 Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS � picture

🔥 Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS �

$309.00



Vintage 1980s PC XT Clone Motherboard 8088 CPU 8-Bit ISA Slots Untested picture

Vintage 1980s PC XT Clone Motherboard 8088 CPU 8-Bit ISA Slots Untested

$69.77



Apple Vintage Joystick for Apple IIe IIc Computer Controller A2M2002 picture

Apple Vintage Joystick for Apple IIe IIc Computer Controller A2M2002

$72.50



Vintage Diamond Viper V770 Ultra AGP 32MB NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra – MCI Eng Coll. picture

Vintage Diamond Viper V770 Ultra AGP 32MB NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra – MCI Eng Coll.

$79.00



Compaq Vintage Presario 5240  Computer with Matching Keyboard Mouse and Speakers picture

Compaq Vintage Presario 5240 Computer with Matching Keyboard Mouse and Speakers

$150.00



Vintage PC100 PC133 SDRAM Desktop RAM Memory Bulk Lot x28 Mix 64/128/256MB picture

Vintage PC100 PC133 SDRAM Desktop RAM Memory Bulk Lot x28 Mix 64/128/256MB

$99.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$164.95



Vintage 486 VLB Motherboard Combo AMD Am486 DX4-120 SiS 85C471 AMI BIOS SIMM  picture

Vintage 486 VLB Motherboard Combo AMD Am486 DX4-120 SiS 85C471 AMI BIOS SIMM

$149.00



Vintage Raidmax ATX-278WU Mid Tower PC Case White Retro Sleeper Front USB NOS  picture

Vintage Raidmax ATX-278WU Mid Tower PC Case White Retro Sleeper Front USB NOS

$149.99