/etc/samba/smb.confWorkGroup is NOT a workgroup, it's a default name, how do i change it.?
geez, I hate linux's learning curve.
must admit, Knoppix at least intalls and is working.... so .....
I have found the LinNeighbourhood,
K - Internet - More Applications - LinNeighbourhood
so I can get my Linux box to browse my Windows Workgroup
troubles, so far,.....
add in user name of linux box to the Win2k user group so it is able to access the windows share.
now, getting the windows machines to access the linux box share ......
you'd think this was easy.
and someone would have explained it...... but ...
in the Knoppix box, on a file, say ....
/home/user-johnny/seti
using the Konqueror window, right-clicking it shows up
share as the last option
straight out of the box, you'd think this might work.
anyhoo, enuff ranting, I'm trying to help.
clicking the 'shared' radio button achieves an error message
Sharing Folder 'xyz' failed
Details
An error occurred while trying to share folder 'xyz'
Make sure that the Perl script 'fileshareset' is set suid root
I have found a file in a perl directory that has this error message in it and it is set suid root
under this is a button
'Configure File Sharing'
ahah!!! I hear, form the back row.
shhhh, not yet.....
you need su access to run
kcmshell 'fileshareset'
so in goes the root user password, and nothing happens.
much annoyance.
running kcmshell in a su root box shows that fileshareset is not one of the options
tonight, I open a root user window and see what kcmshell can do.
ahah!!! I say....
it can do
lanbrowser - Setup Lisa, reslisa and the ioslaves
fingers crossed
nope, it does the same as the lisash.sh script does.
so, still, where can I configure the lisa daemon.......
WorkGroup is NOT a workgroup, it's a default name, how do i change it.?
/etc/samba/smb.confWorkGroup is NOT a workgroup, it's a default name, how do i change it.?
I did an
apt-get update kde
which did a whole lot of stuff and downloads etc....
at least, now i get a dialogue box with my
configure file sharing
anybody have some pointers on further things to do with
samba / lisa/ windows-linux ?
I have been running VNC 4 on windows which works well with my linux system on the same home network
you can run it from a browser by typing http://192.168.1.[whatever your windows box is-102?101? etc]:5800
which brings up a java window but with only 256 colors
or kpackage and get the VNC for linux and that gives a full color range...
also if you set the share on windows to allow others to modify you can do everything from the linux samba client
I find that its a lot harder to do things from windows to linux though... but one way is to set up apache server
and that gives windows direct access to any shared folders in the apache set up.
yeh, i found and managed to turn on the vnc server in the knoppix box.
i can vnc to it, I already do this on all my computers.
but now, while I can see into the linux box from my win2k machine, i still can't get into it from my win98se.
need pointers on that
how many other questions did i ask too....?

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s
$81.39
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Vintage Sperry Rand Univac Mainframe Control Board Gold IC Rare Piece Of History
$284.95
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00