Easiest way: do a 'poorman's install' of the stock Knoppix from the CD then replace the 'KNOPPIX' file in the poorman's with your customized 'KNOPPIX' file.
Hi guys
I'd like to test my customized Knoppix without burning it .
How can I do it?
I've just read that I've to make a boot floppy with:
dd if=boot.img of=/dev/floppy
but I'm using Knoppix 3.6 and I've not the file boot.img.
How can I make this boot floppy?
thank you very much
claudio![]()
Easiest way: do a 'poorman's install' of the stock Knoppix from the CD then replace the 'KNOPPIX' file in the poorman's with your customized 'KNOPPIX' file.
Let's say your new image is new-knoppix.isoI'd like to test my customized Knoppix without burning it .Look through /test-new to make sure everything is there and in the right place.
- # mkdir /test-new
# mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop new-knoppix.iso /test-newYou can also do a test run with your burner. For example,
- # umount /test-new
using your own dev= (which you can find with # cdrecord -scanbus). The -v option tells it to be verbose (describe what it's doing) and -dummy says to not turn on the laser.
- # cdrecord -v -dummy dev=0,0,0 new-knoppix.iso
If you get buffer underrun errors, you can try again with a slower speed or with the burnfree option set, if it's available in your burner and drive.Enjoy!
- # cdrecord -v -dummy -driveropts=burnfree speed=8 dev=0,0,0 new-knoppix.iso
-- Ed
Thank you very much
I'll try a poorman's install.
I didn't think to this simple solution
The simplest solution is the best too.
Then I'll try "cdrecord -v -dummy..." before burning it.
Thank you both very much
claudio

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00
Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99
Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$79.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00