Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to test my customized Knoppix without burning it

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    How to test my customized Knoppix without burning it

    Hi guys
    I'd like to test my customized Knoppix without burning it .
    How can I do it?
    I've just read that I've to make a boot floppy with:
    dd if=boot.img of=/dev/floppy
    but I'm using Knoppix 3.6 and I've not the file boot.img.
    How can I make this boot floppy?

    thank you very much

    claudio

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Easiest way: do a 'poorman's install' of the stock Knoppix from the CD then replace the 'KNOPPIX' file in the poorman's with your customized 'KNOPPIX' file.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    I'd like to test my customized Knoppix without burning it .
    Let's say your new image is new-knoppix.iso
    • # mkdir /test-new
      # mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop new-knoppix.iso /test-new
    Look through /test-new to make sure everything is there and in the right place.
    • # umount /test-new
    You can also do a test run with your burner. For example,
    • # cdrecord -v -dummy dev=0,0,0 new-knoppix.iso
    using your own dev= (which you can find with # cdrecord -scanbus). The -v option tells it to be verbose (describe what it's doing) and -dummy says to not turn on the laser.

    If you get buffer underrun errors, you can try again with a slower speed or with the burnfree option set, if it's available in your burner and drive.
    • # cdrecord -v -dummy -driveropts=burnfree speed=8 dev=0,0,0 new-knoppix.iso
    Enjoy!

    -- Ed

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thank you very much
    I'll try a poorman's install.
    I didn't think to this simple solution
    The simplest solution is the best too.

    Then I'll try "cdrecord -v -dummy..." before burning it.

    Thank you both very much

    claudio

Similar Threads

  1. Where I can place my customized KNOPPIX CD? Hosting suggesti
    By RoboHobby in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 07:57 PM
  2. start KNOPPIX customized with nfs, samba and ssh (as a serve
    By v-lee in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 09:03 PM
  3. Problem while booting customized knoppix
    By ripper632 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 06:32 PM
  4. test drive knoppix without burning CD?
    By tealeaf in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 06:20 PM
  5. DOS WIN32 customized Knoppix?
    By Darkehorse in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350 picture

Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350

$325.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99