-
Junior Member
registered user
BOOTFROM: What is the point?
Note: I am talking about bootfrom - which is supposed to be a way to boot from NTFS (or ReiserFS) - *not* FROMHD, which only works with FAT/FAT32 (or ext2?) Note that FROMHD works fine "out of the box", but the point is it only works with the 'classic" HD filesystems.
Anyway, my question is: What is the intended use of BOOTFROM?
To go ahead and try to answer my own question, let me say that I am intrigued by it but I was not able to get it to work. Here's my experience.
On a new-from-the-factory XP machine, I booted XP and copied the 8/16/04 KNOPPIX....iso file to C:\
Then, I rebooted and booted a customized Knoppix CD (of the same version) that contains the boot stuff, but not the "big file" (the cloop file). I got to the boot prompt and entered: knoppix 2 bootfrom=/dev/hda1/K*.iso
It didn't work - it gave me the "screen of death" - cannot find Knoppix file system - dropping you to a very limited shell.
Now, the reason I am trying to do this at all is because of defective hardware. The CD drives on some older machines cannot boot the regular Knoppix CD because they can't reliably access all the tracks on the CD. I've found that I can boot the "boot only" version on these machines. So, can I use BOOTFROM in any way to get around these hardware limitations?
Similar Threads
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-27-2006, 06:20 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 07:36 PM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Klik
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-01-2004, 02:34 AM
-
By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
-
By brian03 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00