Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How I can make all partitions to show up in one folder?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103

    How I can make all partitions to show up in one folder?

    I would like to have all prtitions to show up in one folder instead of being scatared all over the desktop. This is similler to My Computer in Windows. Does any body know how to?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I do undertand what you are trying to accomplish. There are many projects & thought on mounting & mapping filesystems. Please elaborate.
    Thanks,
    James

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36

    all icons of desktop in one folder

    just make new folder and drag all icons or which u want into that folder

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    James

    I am remastring knoppix and would like the system to show the icons for the hard disk partitions inside a folder on the desktop instead of having them on the desktop. I hope I am clear now.

    ramaswamyps

    I did that and got all partitions shown inside the folder but when I restart my PC the partitions icons come back again on the desktop also.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    As far as I can tell the script /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons creates the desktop icons on bootup. I don't know how it is getting called, although I have a feeling it is getting called from the /etc/X11/xessions.d/45xsession file. You might be able to edit the /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons script so that it creates the icons in a folder.
    I hope I am right and I hope this helps.
    James

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    James

    Thanks. You are right. It did work.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36

    all icons in one folder

    i seem not able to edit the mkhdicons file

    can u please post a copy of edited file so ican copy and paste to my comp

    i am not experienced in linux

    thanks

    ramaswamyps

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Here it is:

    #!/bin/bash
    # (C) Klaus Knopper Nov 2002
    # Recreate desktop icons for CD-Roms and harddisks in KDE and GNOME
    # This script must be run as the logged in user.

    DIR="$HOME/My Computer"
    scan=""
    verbose=""
    for i in "$@"; do
    case "$i" in
    -s*) scan="true" ;;
    -v*) verbose="-v" ;;
    *) echo "Usage: $0 -s[can] -v[erbose]" >&2 ;;
    esac
    done

    # rebuildfstab requires root privileges, calls su if necessary
    [ -n "$scan" ] && rebuildfstab -r $verbose

    # KDE desktop
    if [ ! -d "$DIR" ]; then
    mkdir -p "$DIR"
    else
    rm -f "$DIR"/cdrom?* "$DIR"/[hs]d[a-z][1-9]* 2>/dev/null
    fi


    # CD/DVD-Roms/Writers
    while read p m t relax; do
    case "$t" in swap) continue ;; esac
    case "$p" in /dev/cdrom*)
    d="${p##*/}"
    cat >"$DIR"/"CD-ROM [$d]" <<ENDCDROM
    [Desktop Entry]

    Actions=Music;Burn;Eject
    Type=FSDevice
    Dev=$p
    MountPoint=$m
    FSType=auto
    ReadOnly=1
    UnmountIcon=cdrom_unmount
    Name=CD-ROM [$d]
    Icon=cd-record
    Comment=File System Device
    UnmountIcon=cdrom_unmount

    [Desktop Action Eject]

    Exec=kdeeject %v
    Name=Eject
    Dev=$i
    MountPoint=/mnt/$d
    Icon=player_eject

    [Desktop Action Burn]
    Icon=k3b
    Exec=k3b %i %m -caption "%c";true
    Name=Burn CD
    Dev=$i
    MountPoint=/mnt/$d

    [Desktop Action Music]
    Icon=xmms
    Exec=xmms $i;true
    Name=Play Music CD
    Dev=$i
    MountPoint=/mnt/$d
    ENDCDROM
    ;;
    esac
    done </etc/fstab



    # HD partitions (except swap)
    while read p m t relax; do
    case "$t" in swap) continue ;; esac
    case "$p" in /dev/[hs]d[a-z][1-9]*)
    d="${p##*/}"
    cat >"$DIR"/"$d" <<ENDHD
    [Desktop Entry]
    Actions=Remount
    Type=FSDevice
    Dev=$p
    MountPoint=$m
    FSType=auto
    ReadOnly=1
    Icon=hdd_mount
    UnmountIcon=hdd_unmount
    Name=Hard Disk Partition [$d]

    [Desktop Action Remount]
    Icon=hdd_mount
    Exec=remountrw $p;true
    Name=Change read/write mode
    ENDHD

    ;;
    esac
    done </etc/fstab

    exit 0

    You have to create folder My Computer in desktop folder and have an icon for it on disktop. Actually I did not prepare this file, I got it from a new distro.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    36

    edit mkhdicons

    thank U very much for posting this file copy


    i hope i can make it work for me too
    ramaswamyps

Similar Threads

  1. Error "Could not make folder/mnt/hdc1/FILENAME"
    By xboxdynasty in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 02:14 AM
  2. trying to make partitions on a pen drive using knoppix
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 10:17 AM
  3. Could not make folder /mnt/sda1/Win2k_Ghost_Image
    By atman in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2005, 09:12 AM
  4. Could Not make Folder
    By mlrible in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 06:35 AM
  5. Where do i put files so they show up at /
    By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 06:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HPE 10GbE 2P SFP+ QL41132 OCP3 Network Adapter NIC 2 Port 10GE 10Gb 10G OCP 3 picture

HPE 10GbE 2P SFP+ QL41132 OCP3 Network Adapter NIC 2 Port 10GE 10Gb 10G OCP 3

$439.00



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99