Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: NTFS Data Recovery Help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2

    NTFS Data Recovery Help

    Hi there. I have a serious problem regarding data recovery on an NTFS volume running on Windows XP Professional (Yes, I know... Please spare me the ridicule...) and I was told by a friend that Knoppix is capable of recovering my files. The nature of the problem is thus: I have an 80gig Western Digital hard drive enclosed in a 3.5" I/O Magic USB enclosure which I use solely for multimedia and large files. A few days ago, I received an error message that read something along the lines of, "Delayed write error... the MFT has been corrupted". Since then, it only recognized the file system as RAW, rather than NTFS, rendering the volume itself inoperable. I had no choice but to do a quick format to write the basic NTFS system files back onto the volume, so I could access/read it. Everything went smoothly and I decided to call it a night, for I had to wake up early the next morning, but unbeknownst to me, one of my family members used my drive while I was sleeping and wrote a lot of data to it, making it nearly impossible to recover any of the files using Windows 32 programs. =/ To make a long story short, I need a reliable program or information on how to have Knoppix recover data beyond the entry level. I know that the government can recover data from beyond 3 levels down. Surely, Knoppix must be capable of recovering data from 2 levels down, right? Could someone please help me out? I'd be eternally indebted. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    http://purelinux.hollosite.com/savedataknoppix.txt

    im sure some other people can give some handy tips aswell but this is a basic overview.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2
    How many levels is Knoppix capable of recovering, my friend?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    to tell you the truth i have no idea. but i would have to say 2 layers. knoppix is a good tool for data recovery but its not to the level that the goverment forensic experts have. but aslong as the datas there knoppix will beable to get to it.

Similar Threads

  1. Data recovery!
    By andyp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
  2. Data Recovery
    By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
  3. Data recovery from HDD
    By Metallo in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
  4. Data recovery w/ knoppix
    By cohyster in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
  5. Data recovery.
    By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00