-
Junior Member
registered user
DVD drive scratches disks after using knoppix.
I recently decided to try out linux for the first time and asked a friend of mine what would be best for new users. He told me about knoppix.I went to knoppix.org and downloaded version 3.3 on accident.The first time it started everything went very smooth but when I tryed to exit being the complete newbie I must of done something wrong. Knoppix locked up and I couldn't do anything so I restart my computer. I took out the disk and loaded up windows xp pro to make sure nothing was damaged and it appeared nothing was. So I put my knoppix disk back in and but when it started I heard the weirest noise coming from my dvd drive. Knoppix loaded very slowly and the noises continued so I immeadiatly restarted. I took out my knoppix disk and noticed circular scratches all over the disk. I tryed putting in a dvd once windows had loaded and logged into my user name to make sure nothing was wrong but It wouldn't load.I took the disk out and noticed the same scratches. I then tryed another dvd and it loaded but the movie was skipping. I took the dvd out and the same scratches. I tryed a music disk and got the same thing. It doesn't make the strange sound it made when it scratched up the knoppix disc though. My current dvd drive is a Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-117(the computer is custom built but the dvd drive is one from my old compaq.)..
Similar Threads
-
By pepesz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-17-2004, 04:35 AM
-
By bftet in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 03:02 AM
-
By xbenchman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 08:37 PM
-
By law_student in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 07:19 AM
-
By sireasoning in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Commodore 64C C64 ASSY 250469 Rev A with Original Integrated Circuits – Tested
$175.00

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128
$79.99

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded
$89.50

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer
$600.00

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA
$10.49

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller
$29.99

VTG Commodore Plus/4 Computer Untested As-Is
$49.99

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW
$11.99

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on
$70.00