-
knoppix and samba
I'm managing/transforming a lan at school. It was made of windows pcs with a very old SuSE 6.2 serving Samba shares.
I have chosen Knoppix for the migration to linux of most part of the machines in the lab, but I'm stuck with a problem.
Samba serves a common-share for all users. and I want that the share is mounted at boot-time (as in windows pcs)
So i put this line into /etc/fstab:
//192.168.0.1/common-share /mnt/common-share smbfs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777 0 0
and created /root/.smbcredentials
with:
username=myusername
password=mypassword
first problem: the mount is not automatic at boot-time.
second and main problem: a normal user cannot mount the share: the system says he hasn't got the privilege to mount it
I tried something, but in vain:
I added user,auto to fstab
chmod a+s /usr/bin/smbmnt
I must be a question related with Knoppix: I tried the same configuration on a Fedora Core 1 machine and it worked well.
tia
Antonello
-
Senior Member
registered user
Possible answer.
I think with automount, you are trying to get the drive mounted, before Samba is up and running.
Similar Threads
-
By egerber in forum German Forum
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2005, 05:50 PM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-20-2004, 12:36 PM
-
By charlybr in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 09:49 PM
-
By charliet in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
-
By smarchand291 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$729.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00