-
Junior Member
registered user
Need to startup FTP server
Hello all!
I wanted to have on my knoppix box a FTP server. It will be for LOCAL use only. How can I get the FTP deamon running? I have Apache running and wanted to transfer my html files. I know I can use Samba....
TIA
Radnor
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Need to startup FTP server
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:31:08 -0600
Subject: How to make your Knoppix live-cd into an FTP server
To make your machine an FTP server:
On Knoppix, as root of course:
0. Mount all your intended FTP partitions R/W.
1. ' /etc/init.d/inetd start ' == Start FTP daemon (see /etc/inetd.conf)
1a. ' ps ax ' -- You should see inetd running.
2. ' ls -l /etc/hosts ' == You will see the symlink (optional)
3. ' rm /etc/hosts ' == Remove non-editable symlink
3a. ' rm /etc/hosts.allow ' == Remove non-editable symlink
4. ' cp /KNOPPIX/etc/hosts /etc ' == Copy from wherever the LS sez
4a. ' cp /KNOPPIX/etc/hosts.allow /etc '
5. ' jstar /etc/hosts ' == Use your favorite editor, and add in the
CLIENT's IP address and machine-name, as well as the Knoppix box's info.
(' man hosts ')
It should look like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost
10.0.0.1 hostbox.melvinseries.org hostbox
10.0.0.2 clientbox.melvinseries.org clientbox
5b. ' jstar /etc/hosts.allow ' == Comment out the last line, that says:
Code:
ALL : ALL@ALL : DENY
...with a '#' char at the beginning of the line:
Code:
#ALL : ALL@ALL : DENY
6. ' killall pump ' == If you need to manually config your eth0
6a. Make sure you have eth0 up and running:
' ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 up '
(...or 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0 or whatever)
7. Ping the client box and the Knoppix box from both sides using numeric
IP (10.0.0.1)
8. ' passwd knoppix ' == Assign a password to knoppix user (can be 'blah'
or whatever is convenient. UPDATE: This works from CD with no additional
changes.) You can also do ' adduser whatever ' and then ' passwd whatever ' but then you have to "copy-down" /etc/gshadow before the "adduser."
--To ftp to Knoppix box from Linux:
' lftp -u knoppix 10.0.0.1 ' == It will ask for the password, and you
should be good to go.
--You may have to edit /etc/fstab for your FAT32 partition to make it
*writable* - post again if you need help with this. It should be
*readable* by anybody logging in.
--Now the original post is all from memory, but it SHOULD work. I've
updated it with what worked for me. Let me know if it doesn't, and I'll
try doing it again on my Knoppix rig.
--NOTE: Securing the box is YOUR responsibility. This is just a
quick-n-dirty hack to get FTP downloads up and running.
http://www.knopper.net , http://www.knoppix.net
--WolfriderV6 => Dave Bechtel

Originally Posted by
radnor
Hello all!
I wanted to have on my knoppix box a FTP server. It will be for LOCAL use only. How can I get the FTP deamon running? I have Apache running and wanted to transfer my html files. I know I can use Samba....
TIA
Radnor
Similar Threads
-
By Marty in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-31-2005, 05:24 PM
-
By zippix in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-12-2004, 05:09 PM
-
By softgun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-28-2003, 05:17 AM
-
By cmcclean in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
-
By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00