Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How should my partition look for HD install?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    How should my partition look for HD install?

    Can someone point me in the right direction here. I have a 40gb HD I'm trying to install to. I looked at the sticky and that only showed how to partition, not how to partition right for knoppix.

    Currently, I only have one partition, hda1-its 40gb, and it's marked "Linux" under qtpart for filesystem.

    Another thing, I ran sudo knoppix-installer and it installed on that one partition. Then I try to boot to the HD knoppix, and it said "operating system not found". What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15
    did you set up a partition of 500meg to 1.5gig for the swap partition?

    I usually set up a partition for linux 10 gig ( if I add programs using synaptic I found that 5 gig is too small ), 1 gig for swap and the rest for data so that later you can up grade linux and not effect your data

    I also use sudo knoppix-installer

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    my hdd was set
    some (100?-512mb) ext3 - bootable
    multiple of ram linux-swap
    rest ext2

    if you set
    32-64mb ext3 bootable (anyone? too small?)
    512mb linux swap
    2-3gb ext2
    rest as (?) it would probably be usefule

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15
    I would have

    in QT parted

    01 /dev/hda1 ext3 active 11gig (linux goes in here)
    02 /dev/hda2 extended rest of drive
    05 /dev/hda5 ext3 (data storage)
    06 /dev/hda6 swap linux-swap

    a boot partition is not needed
    place the boot manager in "mbr"

    this is basically what I use and my only problem is getting on the net as a user with ver 3.7 I had no problems
    with ver 3.6

    good luck

Similar Threads

  1. Only primary partition for HD install?
    By wolfgang_a_h in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 12:45 PM
  2. How to install to hdd and partition hdd ?
    By empro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 10:24 PM
  3. HDD install changes active partition??
    By clarjon1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 08:11 AM
  4. Can I Install to a partition And How
    By mperry2014 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 08:19 AM
  5. can't install on new partition
    By stoneangel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00