-
Senior Member
registered user
knoppix may ping everything but can't load a page
Hello,
I'm newbie to Linux and Knoppix. I've run it from Live CD to install it and get some more experience with this system. But before installation I want internet connection for all help I can get. And that's where the problem starts.
My computer has ASUS K8N motherboard with Nvidia nForce3 250 chipset. It's placed in the network and connects with internet by hub->router. I run network-setup (as normal user and as a root), everything went ok. After that I'm enable to ping other computers in network and in internet, but connection is very slow - so slow, that it was a success when I saw a title of one web page. Also when I try to connect to router via http I get user/password popup from it, but after that it tries to download a page from it so slow as from www. Propably it can be a problem with full duplex on the ethernet card (as it was on win xp) - net works well only when duplex is set to half. But I couldn't change it using either mii-tool and ethtool. Mii-tool says there are no active mii interfaces, ethtool can't get full information from eth0 (only some basic) (I tried also as root) . And I wasn't able to find information about option in which my card is working - is it half or full duplex. With ethtool I wasn't able to findout is my card working as 10Mb or 100Mb. When I run Knoppix from CD on other computers in the net, it behaves very well - I get normal connection to www. Below i present some of my actions. I hope someone will help to solve my problem.
Regards
kuba
NETCARDCONFIG
Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.11 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.63 up
route add default gw 192.168.0.1
SIOCADDRT: File exists
auto lo eth0
Setting Nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf to 193.110.120.5
Done.
IFCONFIG
Code:
root@ttyp4[knoppix]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:D8:1F:7B:E5
inet addr:192.168.0.11 Bcast:192.168.0.63 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:195 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:59 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:25453 (24.8 KiB) TX bytes:5666 (5.5 KiB)
Interrupt:21 Base address:0x2000
MII-TOOL
Code:
root@ttyp4[knoppix]# mii-tool
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
no MII interfaces found
ETHTOOL
Code:
root@ttyp2[knoppix]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Link detected: yes
ETHTOOL 2
Code:
root@ttyp2[knoppix]# ethtool -s eth0 \speed 10
Cannot get current device settings: Operation not supported
not setting speed
root@ttyp2[knoppix]# ethtool -s eth0 \duplex half
Cannot get current device settings: Operation not supported
not setting duplex
Similar Threads
-
By simon.hibbs in forum Ideas
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-23-2010, 11:24 PM
-
By granduke in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
-
By n()()dle in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By megahertzme in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 10:10 AM
-
By dugstratton in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00