Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: System hangs with aic7xxx.o --> boot noscsi --> no Eth

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    8

    System hangs with aic7xxx.o --> boot noscsi --> no Eth

    Hi,

    I installed knoppix in HD using knx-install. First, I started knoppix from CD using noscsi cheatcode, because the system hanged on boot with message "Probing SCSI... aic7xxx.o". (Before disabling scsi detection, I disabled all the "Power savings" settings, since I read in the forums that it could affect).

    Now the system does not find eth0 when I issue a ifconfig.

    Here is the lspci -v output:


    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C693A/694x [Apollo PRO133x] (rev c4)
    Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 8586
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
    Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
    Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598/694x [Apollo MVP3/Pro133x AGP] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
    I/O behind bridge: 00005000-00005fff
    Memory behind bridge: f0100000-f01fffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f8000000-fbffffff
    Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2

    00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 22)
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686/A PCI to ISA Bridge
    Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0

    00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 10) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    I/O ports at 1000 [size=16]
    Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

    00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 10) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at 1020 [size=32]
    Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2

    00:07.4 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 30)
    Flags: medium devsel
    Capabilities: [68] Power Management version 2

    00:07.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Modem Controller (rev 20)
    Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 8586
    Flags: medium devsel
    I/O ports at 1400 [disabled] [size=256]
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

    00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C (rev 10)
    Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 8586
    Flags: medium devsel
    I/O ports at 1800 [disabled] [size=256]
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=256]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

    00:0c.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller
    Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 8586
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 10
    Memory at 18000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=05, sec-latency=176
    Memory window 0: 18400000-187ff000 (prefetchable)
    Memory window 1: 18800000-18bff000
    I/O window 0: 00004400-000044ff
    I/O window 1: 00004800-000048ff
    16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

    00:0c.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller
    Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 8586
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 10
    Memory at 18001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=09, sec-latency=176
    Memory window 0: 18c00000-18fff000 (prefetchable)
    Memory window 1: 19000000-193ff000
    I/O window 0: 00004c00-00004cff
    I/O window 1: 00006000-000060ff
    16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

    00:0c.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCI4451 IEEE-1394 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 8586
    Flags: medium devsel
    Memory at f0000800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=2K]
    Memory at f0004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2

    00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 12)
    Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 8586
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
    Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 8586
    Flags: stepping, fast Back2Back, 66Mhz, medium devsel, IRQ 11
    Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    I/O ports at 5000 [size=256]
    Memory at f0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [50] AGP version 2.0
    Capabilities: [5c] Power Management version 2


    Any hint will be very much appreciated.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Try disabling the PnP option in your BIOS. Also the 'noapic' boot option may be of some help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    8
    Hi,

    I tried noapic boot option, but the system hanged "Probing aic7xxx.o" all the same.
    I looked for the PnP option in the BIOS, but didn't find it (my laptop has a very basic BIOS).

    I then searched the forums with "new and better ideas", and found the solution:

    First, issue :
    Code:
    sudo modprobe 8139too
    No errors appeared, then issue :
    Code:
    netcardconfig
    (I selected "No DHCP Broadcasting", and then I entered the configuration manually.... and it worked, and I'm happier than some time ago).

    Thanks for the reply... even it was not the solution in my case, it encouraged me to keep trying.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Glad you got it to work. Thanks for posting your solution danielgarcia. Surely it will help to solve somebody else's problem in the future.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    8
    You're welcome

Similar Threads

  1. Startup script and noscsi
    By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
  2. System hangs during boot with USB flash drive attached
    By farcha in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:55 PM
  3. system hangs on boot when creating /etc/fstab
    By niyogi in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 11:53 PM
  4. hangs during boot
    By Bieren in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:19 AM
  5. Knoppix hangs at startup with SCSI detection(aic7xxx module)
    By sjoerd in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620 picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620

$325.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD

$635.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00