Well, sort of.
The trick seems to be to upgrade to unstable, starting with Kde. See:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251
Alternatively, you could pop /home on a seperate partition and install Kanopix (which is already unstable).
During an update frenzy I ran across the following error while trying to update KDE in general, and "kdelibs-data" package in particular:
Went to the Debian site (www.debian.org) only to find this has been a problem for over three years. Surely by now, someone has found a work-around – yes?
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
kdelibs-data
The following packages will be upgraded:
kdelibs-data
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 178 not upgraded.
5 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/7087kB of archives.
After unpacking 2286kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 112776 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kdelibs-data 4:3.2.3-4 (using .../kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-4_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kdelibs-data ...
Replacing files in old package korganizer ...
Replacing files in old package kcontrol ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-4_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.template.desktop', which is also in package openoffice-de-en
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-4_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
RESULT=100
GMD![]()
Well, sort of.
The trick seems to be to upgrade to unstable, starting with Kde. See:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251
Alternatively, you could pop /home on a seperate partition and install Kanopix (which is already unstable).
Thanks for the link fingers99
Unfortunately it is Knoppix 3.7 that I am in the middle of updating...
Any other ideas that will keep me from rebuilding my install from the groound up? I realy don't want to go through resetting all my formating and configurations again...
Thanks
GMD
I have knoppix 3.8 and went along upgrading and hit this same problem.
I did a snippet of what was in the other thread: I didn't upgrade to unstable, but here is what I did to get past this:
basically, you force the files to be overwritten with the ones in kdelibs-data.
The last line kicks off the install of everything that you got the update packages for.Code:knoppix@1[knoppix]$ dpkg --force overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-4_all.deb dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege knoppix@1[knoppix]$ sudo dpkg --force overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-4_all.deb (Reading database ... 113938 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to replace kdelibs-data 4:3.3.2-1 (using .../kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-4_all.deb) ... Unpacking replacement kdelibs-data ... dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.template.desktop', which is also in package openoffice-de-en dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.draw.template.desktop', which is also in package openoffice-de-en dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.impress.template.desktop', which is also in package openoffice-de-en dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.template.desktop', which is also in package openoffice-de-en Setting up kdelibs-data (3.3.2-4) ... knoppix@1[knoppix]$ sudo apt-get install -f
everthing seemed to work fine except for one package:
Not sure what to do about THAT.Code:Setting up autofs (4.1.3+4.1.4beta2-3) ... Stopping automounter:dpkg: error processing autofs (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing: autofs E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Arg.. I am having the same issues upgrading 3.8 to UNSTABLE..Originally Posted by jackashe
I *want* to use Knoppix instead of something like Kanotix.. but this error is forcing my hand..
Has anyone out there been able to get 3.8 converted to UNSTABLE?
Since the only problem seems to be with /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.(XXXX).template.desktop files which are part of openoffice-de-en, it might work to remove openoffice-de-en ("apt-get remove --purge openoffice*") then finish updating kde then reinstall openoffice.
For the reinstall use the standard openoffice package instead of the openoffice-de-en package which I think is special to Knoppix. This should also get the benefit of installing the openoffice help files which are (or at least used to be-I haven't used Knoppix 3.7 or 3.absent from Knoppix probably for space reasons.
There is also a kde integration package for openoffice which gives a kde 'look & feel' to openoffice but I don't think there is a .deb package for it. I have installed it using the standard openoffice install package.

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++
$169.00
Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00
Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00
Vintage 1984 Apple Macintosh MacWrite & MacPaint Boxed Set - Near Complete
$125.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh 512K Model M0001W - Works
$249.99
Apple IIe Vintage Computer A2S2064 Powers On Apple II Untested For Parts/repair
$149.99
NEW Vintage Apple Computer (1995) TNT Mother Board ~ 820-0564-09 in Apple Carton
$285.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00
Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used.
$199.99