Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: tty screen mode

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264

    tty screen mode

    well, I just found about shift-pgup
    which saves some stress.....
    trying to read
    ls /etc
    where the output is way long for the screen

    but, I'd like to change the screen from the standard 80x25 to 80x43....
    I can set this mode during boot up, but after loading (I think) /etc/modules the screen changes back to 80x25

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    You can also pipe the output of the "ls" command into a pager. For example:

    ls /etc | less

    Then you can use the Page Up/Page Down keys to scroll through the output, the "Home" and "End" keys to go to the beginning and the end, the up and down arrows to scroll one line at a time, and "q" to quit. ("man" usually uses "less" as its pager.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: tty screen mode

    --If you're setting ' vga=ext ' or whatever at boot, you'll have to go thru /etc/rcS.d and the other runlevels (or whatever your default runlevel is - check /etc/inittab) and find out what's setting the console font. Then comment out the part of the script that changes it.

    --For me, on hdinstall, it was /etc/rcS.d/S48console-screen.sh -> ../init.d/console-screen.sh

    --I've noticed the live-cd overriding the vga= boot parm as well; you might want to submit this to Klaus as a bug.

    Quote Originally Posted by marhleet
    well, I just found about shift-pgup
    which saves some stress.....
    trying to read
    ls /etc
    where the output is way long for the screen

    but, I'd like to change the screen from the standard 80x25 to 80x43....
    I can set this mode during boot up, but after loading (I think) /etc/modules the screen changes back to 80x25

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 12:19 AM
  2. Mode not supported (screen message)
    By Mr Cornelius in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 10:16 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 07:07 AM
  4. turning off screen saver / blanking at login screen
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
  5. boot splash screen runs in unsuported mode by monitor
    By robwelch100 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Cray-1 UNIVAC 1103 Apple 1 CDC 6600 IBM SAGE picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Cray-1 UNIVAC 1103 Apple 1 CDC 6600 IBM SAGE

$65.00



S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco picture

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco

$89.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Computer History UNIVAC IBM 650 Apple 1 Macintosh DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Babbage picture

Computer History UNIVAC IBM 650 Apple 1 Macintosh DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Babbage

$38.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00