-
Pre-upgrade backup :oops:
I have the following MAJOR “directories� or “folders� in my Knoppix HD install:
bin
boot
cdaudio
cdrom
dev
dvd
etc
floppy
home
initrd
lib
lost+found
mnt
none
opt
proc
root
sbin
sys
tmp
usr
var
I would like to perform a total apt-get update, and apt-get upgrade. Problem is I don't want to loose any of the formatting and settings I have done up to now.
Question – what of the above file folders should I backup to another drive before the upgrade? Can I then “copy� these folders back into the “upgraded� Knoppix without having to go through all my formatting and settings again? Is there a “simple� way to do this?
Rather than using apt-get, should I use dpkg instead 
Thanks 
GMD
-
Senior Member
registered user
apt-get is and dpkg will do same thing.
as for what directories, /etc /usr/etc and /home/user are where 95-99%+ of configs are stored,
so copyitn themn wiuld be saftest bet. /etc is system wide configs, you may get problemns if LKnoppix has something special stored in other locations.
/home is ofcource userbound, like: theme, icons, mail...
aqnd /usr/etcx is for just a few, look in there and see if it will affct you.
Similar Threads
-
By jets in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2008, 07:49 AM
-
By fpd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-21-2006, 06:16 PM
-
By ilovelinux98 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 09:46 AM
-
By Magik in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-29-2004, 07:35 PM
-
By marc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 03:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2
$32.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Ubiquiti Unifi USW PRO AGGREGATION 28x10Gbe 4x25Gbe QSFP28 Layer 3 Switch
$700.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99