Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problems with NVIDIA and boot (closing x-server) Knoppix 3.7

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7

    Problems with NVIDIA and boot (closing x-server) Knoppix 3.7

    I downloaded drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-7167.html and there is how-to-section.
    I did all like they said but im having trouble to boot using init 3. If im not wrong, I should write "Init 3" in boot, but I CANT! Knoppix boots right to the some menu, where is Linux, Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.6 (not sure about those numbers) and when I press <tab> I get to the boot selection, where I get to choose boot from those three option. I useally use Linux (knoppix 3.7).

    So, what should I do now? I tried with root but didnt help (you appear to be running x-server etc... please boot with Init 3 (run level 3)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    init 3 refers to runlevel 3 of the system & NOT a boot menu option. So boot the system normally, open up a shell prompt, then as root or use sudo:
    init 3

    This should kill the Xserver & drop you right out of the GUI and into a console black & white command line. If it doesn't then try init 2.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can also highlight the kernel in lilo (the menu you're seeing), press tab, type 3 and hit enter to boot straight into runlevel 3.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for replys, but didnt work

    1. I tried that shell root and init 3 but no luck
    2. I only saw (linux 26 -2) or that but it just booted from level 5


    [b]-> Edit[{b]

    I almost got it I was good way to install drivers (after my friend told me this su - -command)
    then I started messing with cd /home etc and finally I got it how to enter right folder. But my kerner is all wrong it says. and when I go to control center it says


    -> Edit:
    Default directory was wrong too, I just tried to change directory

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    Double post, sorry
    Yesterday outcome ->
    Did not manage to get it right and missed work about half hour, cause I went to sleep in morning 06:00 clock

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee-OD
    Thanks for replys, but didnt work

    1. I tried that shell root and init 3 but no luck
    2. I only saw (linux 26 -2) or that but it just booted from level 5
    That's strange as it's always worked for me. Just open a root shell and type "init 3" without the quotes should do it like Underscore said.

    The KDE kernel thingy has never worked for me (not that I've tried that much)
    You can search this site for posts about nvidia, here's an example: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53063

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    I got it installed, but then I tried playing Enemy Territory, first game "cant open GLOPEn subsystem", I did some things with Wine and got it work. Then it was real slow, and it said before game started "Direct Rendeling: No". I searched this from forum but I found this xorg.conf or folder xorg (didnt find it anywhere in hd)


    Could this be problem, Nvidia didnt installed propely cause of kernel, I guess

    • Short version
      "-> Kernel module compilation complete.
      ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.o'. This is most likely
      because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.
      Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
      kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
      'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source
      files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
      '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
      -> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.o':
      -1 Invalid module format
      -> Kernel messages:
      eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xd400, IRQ 11, 00:0a:e6:69:f7:cf.
      Trident 4DWave/SiS 7018/ALi 5451,Tvia CyberPro 5050 PCI Audio, version
      0.14.10j-2.6, 23:27:48 Oct 19 2004
      PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:01.4
      trident: SiS 7018 PCI Audio found at IO 0xd800, IRQ 11
      ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALG48 (Unknown)
      Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
      NET: Registered protocol family 17
      agpgart: Detected SiS 730 chipset
      agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
      agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xd0000000
      eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex
      lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
      lp0: console ready
      eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex
      No module found in object"
      ------------------------------------------


    • Full version
      nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
      creation time: Thu Mar 31 20:08:47 2005

      option status:
      license pre-accepted : false
      update : false
      force update : false
      expert : false
      uninstall : false
      driver info : false
      no precompiled interface: false
      no ncurses color : false
      query latest driver ver : false
      OpenGL header files : false
      no questions : false
      silent : false
      no backup : false
      kernel module only : false
      sanity : false
      add this kernel : false
      no runlevel check : false
      no network : false
      no ABI note : false
      no RPMs : false
      force tls : (not specified)
      force compat32 tls : (not specified)
      X install prefix : /usr/X11R6
      OpenGL install prefix : /usr
      compat32 install prefix : (not specified)
      installer install prefix: /usr
      utility install prefix : /usr
      kernel name : (not specified)
      kernel include path : (not specified)
      kernel source path : (not specified)
      kernel output path : (not specified)
      kernel install path : (not specified)
      proc mount point : /proc
      ui : (not specified)
      tmpdir : /tmp
      ftp mirror : ftp://download.nvidia.com
      RPM file list : (not specified)

      Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
      -> License accepted.
      -> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you li
      ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel f
      rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes)
      -> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp site;
      this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for
      your kernel.
      -> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/linux'
      -> Performing CC test with CC="cc".
      -> Performing rivafb check.
      -> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
      executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make clean'...
      rm -f nv.o nv-vm.o os-agp.o os-interface.o os-registry.o nv-linux.o nv_comp
      iler.h *.d NVdriver nvidia.o
      -> Building kernel module:
      executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make module SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux SYSOUT=/usr/s
      rc/linux'...
      echo \#define NV_COMPILER \"`cc -v 2>&1 | tail -n 1`\" > nv_compiler.h
      cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wp
      arentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -fno-common -UDEBUG -
      U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_G
      NU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1
      -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=7167 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT
      64_OK -DNVCPU_X86 -DNV_REMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4_PRESENT -DNV_CHANGE_PAGE_AT
      TR_PRESENT -DNV_PCI_DISABLE_DEVICE_PRESENT -DNV_VMAP_4_PRESENT -I. -I/usr/s
      rc/linux/include -Wsign-compare -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error nv.c
      In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/vmalloc.h:8,
      from nv-linux.h:56,
      from nv.c:14:
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h: In function `bh_kmap':
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h:20: warning: pointer of type `void *'
      used in arithmetic
      cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wp
      arentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -fno-common -UDEBUG -
      U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_G
      NU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1
      -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=7167 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT
      64_OK -DNVCPU_X86 -DNV_REMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4_PRESENT -DNV_CHANGE_PAGE_AT
      TR_PRESENT -DNV_PCI_DISABLE_DEVICE_PRESENT -DNV_VMAP_4_PRESENT -I. -I/usr/s
      rc/linux/include -Wsign-compare -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error nv-vm.c
      In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/vmalloc.h:8,
      from nv-linux.h:56,
      from nv-vm.c:14:
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h: In function `bh_kmap':
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h:20: warning: pointer of type `void *'
      used in arithmetic
      cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wp
      arentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -fno-common -UDEBUG -
      U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_G
      NU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1
      -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=7167 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT
      64_OK -DNVCPU_X86 -DNV_REMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4_PRESENT -DNV_CHANGE_PAGE_AT
      TR_PRESENT -DNV_PCI_DISABLE_DEVICE_PRESENT -DNV_VMAP_4_PRESENT -I. -I/usr/s
      rc/linux/include -Wsign-compare -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error os-agp.c
      In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/vmalloc.h:8,
      from nv-linux.h:56,
      from os-agp.c:24:
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h: In function `bh_kmap':
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h:20: warning: pointer of type `void *'
      used in arithmetic
      cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wp
      arentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -fno-common -UDEBUG -
      U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_G
      NU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1
      -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DN
      V_PATCHLEVEL=7167 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT64_OK -DNVCPU_X86
      -DNV_REMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4_PRESENT -DNV_CHANGE_PAGE_ATTR_PRESENT -DNV_PCI_DISAB
      LE_DEVICE_PRESENT -DNV_VMAP_4_PRESENT -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wsign-c
      ompare -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error os-interface.c
      In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/vmalloc.h:8,
      from nv-linux.h:56,
      from os-interface.c:26:
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h: In function `bh_kmap':
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h:20: warning: pointer of type `void *'
      used in arithmetic
      cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wp
      arentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -fno-common -UDEBUG -
      U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_G
      NU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1
      -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=7167 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT
      64_OK -DNVCPU_X86 -DNV_REMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4_PRESENT -DNV_CHAN
      GE_PAGE_ATTR_PRESENT -DNV_PCI_DISABLE_DEVICE_PRESENT -DNV_VMAP_4_PRESENT -I
      . -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wsign-compare -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error os-regis
      try.c
      In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/vmalloc.h:8,
      from nv-linux.h:56,
      from os-registry.c:14:
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h: In function `bh_kmap':
      /usr/src/linux/include/linux/highmem.h:20: warning: pointer of type `void *'
      used in arithmetic
      ld -r -o nv-linux.o nv.o nv-vm.o os-agp.o os-interface.o os-registry.o
      ld -r -o nvidia.o nv-linux.o nv-kernel.o
      -> done.
      -> Kernel module compilation complete.
      ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.o'. This is most likely
      because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.
      Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
      kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
      'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source
      files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
      '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
      -> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.o':
      -1 Invalid module format
      -> Kernel messages:
      eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xd400, IRQ 11, 00:0a:e6:69:f7:cf.
      Trident 4DWave/SiS 7018/ALi 5451,Tvia CyberPro 5050 PCI Audio, version
      0.14.10j-2.6, 23:27:48 Oct 19 2004
      PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:01.4
      trident: SiS 7018 PCI Audio found at IO 0xd800, IRQ 11
      ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALG48 (Unknown)
      Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
      NET: Registered protocol family 17
      agpgart: Detected SiS 730 chipset
      agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
      agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xd0000000
      eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex
      lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
      lp0: console ready
      eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex
      No module found in object
    [/list]

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with NFS-Server from Knoppix 3.7 CD
    By karl_sand in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 07:24 PM
  2. problems with nvidia
    By enboig in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:31 AM
  3. Knoppix wont boot after nvidia installation (hddinstall)
    By drpunkerz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 03:09 PM
  4. Closing all apps.
    By Benox in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 06:40 PM
  5. I need help closing ports
    By jojo in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 11:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RARE Vintage Chicony KB-5181 Mechanical Keyboard  Monterey Blue SMK Switches picture

RARE Vintage Chicony KB-5181 Mechanical Keyboard Monterey Blue SMK Switches

$65.00



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37



READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots picture

READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots

$850.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS picture

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS

$35.00



Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25

Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive 77711800 CDC

$89.66



VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED picture

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED

$500.00



Vintage HP DVD Writer dvd210i Internal IDE Drive Q2116A BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED picture

Vintage HP DVD Writer dvd210i Internal IDE Drive Q2116A BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED

$58.85