Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Several easy questions -- help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Several easy questions -- help

    Hi,

    I'm new to linux and coming from WinXp, I should learn it the safe(lazy) way - booting the OS off the CD. I have several questions, so I don't really know where to post except on the General Support forum.

    I downloaded the normal Knoppix 3.7 edition. It works fine on my IBM Laptop, all except wireless network. It boots up fine on my desktop machine (p42.4, 1g ram, Nvidia 5900 Geforce, Samsung LCD) but KDE blows up -- display is corrupted although the system still runs.

    I have a few questions:

    1. I love how Knoppix is so portable and can boot off any computer with a CD-Rom drive, however, I noticed that setting-changes I made are not saved. How do I save my settings so on the next boot, I do not have to reconfigure Linux/KDE?

    2. I'm using Linksys WRT54G wirless adaptor on my laptop. Currently it is not auto-detect. I don't know how to enable it. I read that Knoppix 3.8 will solve this problem. Any advice? Also where can I get a copy of 3.8? Can't seem to find it on the download pages.

    3. What is the difference between the normal Knoppix and the Knoppix game edition?

    4. How do I solve the problem with my desktop?

    I do not plan to install Linux on my HD until I am 100% comfortable with it.

    Thanks for all the help.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    4. How do I solve the problem with my desktop?
    At boot, type: knoppix screen=(put here something different from your bad display resolution, for me, it is 800x600) No experience with LCD display though! You better press F2 or F3 to get some help at boot!

    I do not plan to install Linux on my HD until I am 100% comfortable with it.
    This is good stance.

Similar Threads

  1. im sure this is easy...
    By borabora in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 10:31 AM
  2. 2 easy questions
    By under in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 05:58 PM
  3. 3 easy questions and a strange one.
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
  4. Wow! That was EASY!!!
    By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
  5. how easy is it to do?
    By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SolarFlare XtremeScale X2522-25G-PLUS Dual Port 25G SFP28 PCI-E 3.1 x8 NIC FH LP picture

SolarFlare XtremeScale X2522-25G-PLUS Dual Port 25G SFP28 PCI-E 3.1 x8 NIC FH LP

$899.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99