Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: how to mount a modem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4

    how to mount a modem

    Hi, Just booted Knoppix on a Thinkpad, ran 'LSPCI" to see if there is a modem detected,, there is.,,, so I need to know how to associate what I see in the lspci list as modem to a device such as /dev/modem. Below is the output of LSPCI that relates to my modem:
    0000:02:02.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
    Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp. IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG)
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
    Latency: 0 (63000ns min, 3500ns max)
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
    Region 0: Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Region 1: I/O ports at 6440 [size=8]
    Region 2: I/O ports at 6000 [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    Another question: Do I need to install Knoppix on a hard drive to save configuation files? (I have a mountable memory key)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    This a very good site for winmodems http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ especially scanmodem utility http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanmodem
    Do I need to install Knoppix
    I think you musrt install it on hdd. There are some new ways of dooing things, but this is in experimental period(?).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4
    Thanks tdjokic, i have the information I need from the modem site.
    My PC recognizes my modem ok. I can use kppp.
    When I configure my modem, I need to tell Linux the device address (/dev/ttyS0, or /dev/ttuSL0).
    I've tried '/dev/modem' ..... I get a message saying Knoppix cannot find /dev/modem
    I've tried '/dev/ttyS0' ........ I get a message saying device is busy

    What my question now is: What address do I assign to my modem when configuring it? ttyS0, ttyS1?,,, how does one decide what the address must be?

    Scanmodem output:

    knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ scanmodem


    UPDATE=2004 July 30

    Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 0000:02:02.0
    with vendor-ID:device-ID
    ----:----
    0780: 11c1:0449 (rev Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)
    SubSystem 1468:0410 AMBIT Microsystem Corp. IBM ThinkPad T23 (2647-4MG)
    0000:02:02.0 0780: 11c1:0449 (rev 01)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    Memory at c0201000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    I/O ports at 6440 [size=8]
    A PCMCIA modem is detected.


    From this output I see what i need to get the drivers (11c1:0410) but nothing in this to say what address I should assign to the modem.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. nfs mount: mount: RPC: Program not registered
    By markpelletier in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  2. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  3. Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&
    By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
  5. Modem err : ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU picture

Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU

$525.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1U Server 5019C-WR X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 3.8Ghz 32GB RAM M.2 NVME   X picture

Supermicro 1U Server 5019C-WR X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 3.8Ghz 32GB RAM M.2 NVME X

$369.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00