Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: getting knoppix set up with xerces xml parser for game dev

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    getting knoppix set up with xerces xml parser for game dev

    Hi

    I would like to us knoppix to do some development. I am making a half-life2 modification and I need to compile the .so libs for linux dedicated servers. I have knoppix 2.6 and 2.7 and can use either. The reason I am trying this is because knoppix is the only linux that detected all my hardware and even allows me to get on the internet with no problem which says alot for the distro.

    So my question is can I do this?

    GCC 3.4.1 or above ( http://gcc.gnu.org ).
    Xerces XML parser 2.6.0 or above ( http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/ ).
    GLIBC 2.3.2 or above.

    I need those 3 exact programs to compile I would like to use those exact versions because people have said newer ones dont compile the code cause valve cant seem to keep things compliant. I would first like some advice should I try to get them installed on a home dir I have already placed on my computer and get that to work or should I try to build a new knoppix CD with those things installed (that would be cool cause I could offer it to other HL2 modders who are not good with linux like me), on the other hand it may be over my head and just not something I can pull off. Or is this whole project just not going to work with knoppix?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120

    Re: getting knoppix set up with xerces xml parser for game d

    Quote Originally Posted by j!m
    Hi

    I would like to us knoppix to do some development. I am making a half-life2 modification and I need to compile the .so libs for linux dedicated servers. I have knoppix 2.6 and 2.7 and can use either. The reason I am trying this is because knoppix is the only linux that detected all my hardware and even allows me to get on the internet with no problem which says alot for the distro.

    So my question is can I do this?

    GCC 3.4.1 or above ( http://gcc.gnu.org ).
    Xerces XML parser 2.6.0 or above ( http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/ ).
    GLIBC 2.3.2 or above.

    I need those 3 exact programs to compile I would like to use those exact versions because people have said newer ones dont compile the code cause valve cant seem to keep things compliant. I would first like some advice should I try to get them installed on a home dir I have already placed on my computer and get that to work or should I try to build a new knoppix CD with those things installed (that would be cool cause I could offer it to other HL2 modders who are not good with linux like me), on the other hand it may be over my head and just not something I can pull off. Or is this whole project just not going to work with knoppix?
    The easiest way is to just install knoppix, and run this command as root:
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get install gcc-3.4 libc6-dev libxerces26-dev make automake
    That should update your package list, and install some handy developement tools.

    Also, if you don't have any experience programming on unix-like platforms, you'll probably want to check out the documentation for gcc, automake, and gnu make. A usefull tool (if you like ide's... I don't) is kdevelope.

    A list of usefull libraries for game (and multimedia) programming:
    SDL
    Openal
    Opengl

    Once you get the hang of programming on unix-like platforms, everything should be a piece of cake.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2
    can I specify 3.4.1 for gcc? because i notice they are at 3.4.3 now and i would like to have the exact versions that valve asks us to use.

    also i would like clarification when you say install knoppix do you mean anything different then just booting it up with the cd currently i do this with home=scan and i have a persistent home dir on my hard drive

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by j!m
    can I specify 3.4.1 for gcc? because i notice they are at 3.4.3 now and i would like to have the exact versions that valve asks us to use.
    gcc 3.4.1 is no longer on the debian mirrors, you can try to download the source and compile it, but the download is around 30 megs, plus there's the risk it might not work. Also, the last number is only the revision version, which means gcc 3.4.1 probably has bugs that have been fixed in 3.4.3, and there should be no major differences between the two.


    Quote Originally Posted by j!m
    also i would like clarification when you say install knoppix do you mean anything different then just booting it up with the cd currently i do this with home=scan and i have a persistent home dir on my hard drive
    I meant it's a lot easier to install knoppix to hard drisk (ie. you are running knoppix off your hard drive with no cd), because, you can't really install debian packages from the knoppix cd without either:

    1) Passing --root=<writtable directory>, and --admindir=<writtable directory> to dpkg when installing the packages, and then changing several environment variables, so everything knows where gcc is.

    2) Or Re-mastering the cd

Similar Threads

  1. how can i install a game or any program in KNOPPIX?
    By auser in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2006, 01:19 PM
  2. Learning game development on knoppix.
    By rangalo in forum Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 02:06 PM
  3. knoppix game cd?
    By TheCrazzyman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 07:37 AM
  4. new knoppix game cd
    By listman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 02:50 PM
  5. Game only KNOPPIX
    By noor in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$165.58