-
Junior Member
registered user
KNoppix 3.7 to HD? help!
I am new to knoppix have become confused on how to install knoppix to run off the HD. I have a blank HD and would like to install Knoppix on to it. The HD is 20GB I want Koppix on just a 10GB partition. After that I want to put WinXp on the after Partition as a dual boot.
Hope you can help
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: KNoppix 3.7 to HD? help!

Originally Posted by
gonzo
... After that I want to put WinXp on the after Partition as a dual boot....
I'm not the right person to advise anyone to install Knoppix onto a hard drive, but if you do plan to do so and also have XP on the disk I would very strongly suggest htat life will be much simpler if you install Windows first to a small partition and then install Knoppix. Windows really doesn't like other OS's and will wipe out your boot loader when it is installed,. If you install Windows first and leave space for Knoppix then you can at least avoid that problem and focus on the other problems of Knoppix installed to hard disk.
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
gonzo
Do I use NTFS or FAT?
For the XP partition you can use either. If you think there is ever any reason that you will want to write to that partition with Knoppix then use FAT. If you want some of the newer features available only with NTFS (files larger than 4 gig, access control by user and encrypted file systems) then use NTFS but if you do never write to the disk with Knoppix (look but don't touch). I have an XP system with 1 NTFS partition and 1 FAT partition, works fine.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks, what's the process of install Knoppix to a partition then? I use the Knoppix STD (security version)
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
gonzo
Thanks, what's the process of install Knoppix to a partition then? I use the Knoppix STD (security version)
Sorry. I can't help you on that. Read through the forum, it's been discussed over and over. There is also an install FAQ in the documentation section. Personally I believe that if you install Knoppix rather than Debian you anger the gods and will be punished. But I could be wrong.
-
Junior Member
registered user
what's the difference between the 2?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
gonzo
what's the difference between the 2?
I don't understand the question, what 2 do you speak of? And AFAIK there are at least 3 ways to attempt to install Knoppix to HD. But the forum and the faq are where I would look for the information.
If you mean between Knoppix and Debian, Knoppix is a mix of various versions of Debian and was primairaly intended for running off a Live CD. Certain decisions were made that work well when running from a Live CD, not so well once installed. On top of that the install techniques leave something to be desired, you just have to read through the forum to see how many posts there are about a network or something else that worked fine when booting from the Live CD but stopped working after an install to HD. IMHO people like to install Knoppix to HD becuase Knoppix does a great job of hardware detection and quickly comes up with a full menu of nice applications and a nice look to the GUI. But installing and updating Knoppix can be much more of a problem than installing and updating a Debian system, amoung other reasons because of Knoppix's choice to mix stable, unstable and experimental versions. Installing Debian may take a bit more work, particularly if you are relatively new to Linux, but you learn in the process and hopefully have a more stable system when you are done, as well as being more experienced and better able to set up exactly what you want.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sorry mate
Debian or Knoppix?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Is Debian a free download? I really need it for security. The Knoppix STD has loads. like Nessus, ntop and Ethereal already installed...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00