Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to remasterize KNOPPIX 3.8??

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    How to remasterize KNOPPIX 3.8??

    Hi, anyone knows how to remasterize KNOPPIX 3.8???

    I don't know how I have to use UNIONFS; and if I have to compress it with unionfs or cloop...



    any one can help me?¿

    tnx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I have remastered 3.8 sucessfully. I have yet to update it, but you do not have to do anything different in order to remaster Knoppix 3.8 with my HOWTO http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    To remaster graphically, I had to alter a symlink and add the sticky bit to a /tmp folder...

    /var/tmp --> /tmp and /tmp --> /var/tmp

    This was no good and KDE would not start. So I rm'd /var/tmp and made a new one, then chmod 1777'd it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    To remaster graphically, I had to alter a symlink and add the sticky bit to a /tmp folder...

    /var/tmp --> /tmp and /tmp --> /var/tmp

    This was no good and KDE would not start. So I rm'd /var/tmp and made a new one, then chmod 1777'd it.
    I sorta remember that when I remastered 3.8 two weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder as I will have to update the HOWTO to reflect that.

    Thanks again,
    James

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    Other things

    You also have to edit your isolinux.cfg to change the default language from es to us or whatever you prefer. And you'll probably want to adjust the kde regional settings too and set to to load a manually saved session instead of the previous session (kmix might popup when kde loads otherwise). There are es and ca packages to look for and remove if you don't need them, things like spanish ispell dictionaries and such.

    I upgraded to unstable and didn't have any trouble. Am working out the switch over from cloop to squashfs now. I'm starting to wonder if the bootup dialog is still going to be in spanish. I had a look at knoppix-autoconfig and I think it'll export the language setting to that script early on, but the messages at the top of the script about searching for aes encryption might still be in spanish if it can't find the filesystem in the first place anyway...????

    Overclockix 3.8 (in the works)

    http://overclockix.octeams.com/ocix38.jpg

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    arkaine23

    Thanks for the info. I faced the same problem. I did the following:

    chmod a+rw /tmp

    and i was able to start kde in the remastered folder, but when I compress it and make the iso, kde will not start. Should I do the following:

    rm /var/tmp
    mkdir /var/tmp
    chmod 777 /var/tmp

    to get it working?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    You'll want to put it back the way it was with symlinks... I don't know if anything ciritcal is in your new /var/tmp, so you could copy the contents to /var/tmp.old to be safe. Then:

    rm -rf /var/tmp
    ln -s /var/tmp /tmp

Similar Threads

  1. Customizing the K Menu to remasterize KNoppix
    By lrathle in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 09:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 10 ARISTA SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP LC Connector Optic Transceiver Module picture

Lot of 10 ARISTA SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP LC Connector Optic Transceiver Module

$60.72



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99