-
Senior Member
registered user
Someone should remaster a Beowulf Knoppix
I've got an application in mind, although its still being worked on at Stanford University (protein folding with gromacs). It'd be great if a Knoppix remaster could use PXE for booting the nodes (from a HDD install), or even if the nodes just booted from CD....
Anyone know what would be involved in such a project? I have a couple of ppl who are ready to get started.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Could parallelknoppix be what you are looking for? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15101
From http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix/
ParallelKnoppix is a remaster of Knoppix that allows setting up a cluster of machines for parallel processing using the LAM-MPI and/or MPICH implementations of MPI. Getting the cluster up and running takes less than 15 minutes, if the machines have PXE network cards.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've looked at parallel knoppix, but I wasn't quite sure if it was what I'm looking for . They do not use the term "beowulf" anywhere, and beowulf is what would be required for the cluster client of folding@home.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have been out of the clustering sphere of knowledge for a couple years but I believe you are getting mixed up in the terminology. A beowulf is just name or classification of a parallel processing high performance computing cluster based on low cost common off the shelf PCs. Unless I am gravely mistaken, parallelknoppix provides the PXE network booting for the nodes and also the parallel computing libraries.
As for understanding beowulf or HPC you can go to the source "Engineering a Beowulf-style Compute Cluster" http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Beowulf...ook/node9.html. You can also see my presentation of a Beowulf cluster that used PVM for my SysAdmin2 class at http://www.virtualacuity.com/james/cluster/index.html.
I hope this helps.
James
Similar Threads
-
By sav.singh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:58 PM
-
By yongla in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 12
Last Post: 01-07-2005, 04:07 AM
-
By spc in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 08:55 PM
-
By Raj in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-05-2003, 08:00 PM
-
By MR_EPOD in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-03-2003, 03:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$50.99

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00