-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Wireless signal quality monitoring?
Finally, after having Knoppix, a laptop and a wireless card, after two years I can finally connect to my wireless router with Knoppix 3.8.1. I'm even able to set a WEP key and still have it work, and I'm not using a "wrapper".
For anyone interested I'm using a Belkin 802.11b pcmcia card on an HP ze4240 motebook and connecting to a Dlink router. I have to do two manual setups, first the wavelan configuration utility. Then I have to go back and do a netcardconfig on the same interface and let it pull the DHCP settings from the router. Once that happens I'm on-line. Haven't yet tried to save configuration information to a flash drive, but that's on the to-do list.
So finally getting to the question: I'm connecting, but the connection is marginal. That's not unusual, it's marginal from the room that the notebook is currently in from Windows too. In Windows I have indications of the signal strength and signal quality (part of the vendor supplied software for the card). In Knoppix once I run the wavelan configuration utility the lights on the pcmcia card stop blinking and come on solid (a good sign), but nothing seems to be running to give me an indication of signal quality or other information. Is there a tool I should be running for this? Is it in Knoppix or do I have to download it, and if the latter, can you provide a link? I've tried running airsnort, but it doesn't look like it would provide signal quality information. And it doesn't seem to work with this card, it just sits there, and it should see my own SSID (that the only wireless signal I'll see from inside the house).
Similar Threads
-
By FingerPie in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-06-2006, 07:39 AM
-
By iam980hk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-14-2005, 01:05 PM
-
By gonzo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-26-2005, 07:51 AM
-
By gordonb in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-10-2004, 02:01 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL
$169.00

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00