Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Version 3.8.1, USB cable modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Version 3.8.1, USB cable modem

    Machine specs: Pentium 4 1.5 GHz, 128 MB RAM, 52x/32x/52x LG CD burner, a DVD-ROM drive, nVidia GeForceMX2 32 MB video card, CS4281 PCI sound card, no ethernet card, no dial-up modem, 40 GB Maxtor hard drive, Intel D850GB chipset, standard clone PC (nothing fancy like Dell/HP/Compaq/etc.)

    Hello folks.

    I have an RCA/Thomson USB cable modem to connect to the Internet. Knoppix 3.8.1 refuses to recognize the cable modem, while Knoppix 3.7 worked perfectly with my cable modem. I tried a few cheat codes to no avail. I even poked around with the configuration and such, but no success.

    (D*** Small Linux, Libranet, and Windows 2000/XP also all work perfectly with my cable modem as well)

    I have a 10/100 Ethernet card and a CAT5 cable (patch/straight through) at my disposal if switching to Ethernet is the best option. I thought about doing that, but since the older Knoppix and the other OSes work with my current setup, I wasn't too sure about making the move.

    Where should I go from here?

    (P.S.: There was another couple of weird things that Knoppix 3.8.1 did that 3.7 didn't, it detected PCMCIA and FireWire, two things my computer doesn't have. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.)

    Thanks in advance.

    (and thanks to the Knoppix people for making such a fine product)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5
    I have faced the same or similar problem. Using ADSL router and only one netcard. Knoppix 3.8.1 found two interfaces: eth0 and eth1. Shouldn't it find only one? As a result, I'd never knew which one to set. First of all I've chose eth0 and no DHCP. It worked fine but, after booting, got stucked and couldn't even ping any address.

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_Fred
    I have faced the same or similar problem. Using ADSL router and only one netcard. ......
    It sounds like your "same or similar problem" is completely different. JustinSL is trying to use a USB network connection, a configuration that is not yet well supported in Knoppix (and a bad choice for several reasons). You indicate that you do have a network card. I don't see that there is much in common with your problems other than they both fit in the networking forum.

    Rather than hijack the thread, you might want to to pick a subject line that defines your current problem (some mention that the computer sees two or too many ethernet ports might be appropriate) and start a thread on this subject, and include some information of what your hardware is (brand or motherboard make and model, NIC, other peripherals and so on). I have never seen Koppix report an extra ethernet port so it sound interesting, but you may have hardware that is a know issue (like a firewire card), so trying to help you without knowing what your hardware is is somewhat difficult.

    And if you connect to a router by an ethernet NIC, don't you have DHCP enabled in the router? You say you don't know which ethernet port to "set". But on all of the systems that I've been connecting through routers, I never set anything (except for wireless connections), I just let Knoppix get it's setup through dhcp at boot time.Knoppix boots, finds the working interface, and I can browse the web as soon as the boot is ready. No setting at all, running from a live CD.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2
    So Knoppix 3.7 was lucky?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5
    Hi Harry

    Sorry, but had no intention to hijacking. It was my first posting and I was with some doubts about this issue. I will open a new thread regarding this theme.

    Thanks,

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4
    yes i have same problem and i tried to connect to the internet ethernet connection and usb connection same cable modem it did not work Knoppix 3.7 not find audigy 2 sound card but find cable modem and Knoppix 3.8.1 find audigy 2 sound card and not find cable modem this is very interesting have any idea?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4
    i made connection with this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=82705#82705 topic

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix and USB cable modem
    By rpope904 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 10:25 AM
  2. USB cable modem
    By Phar_Ted in forum Networking
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 11:23 PM
  3. Cable Modem Need Help!
    By Neuling in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 11:28 PM
  4. Motorola Cable Modem
    By gandalf1967 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 02:45 PM
  5. newb cable modem help
    By beetlebz in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC picture

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC

$27.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99