Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Qparted and new hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    13

    Qparted and new hard drive

    I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I thought I would start here

    I'm running knoppix 3.7 on the 2.6 Kernel. I have a 60GB HD plugged in, and am attempting to use Qparted to format/put a partition on it. It sees the drive on boot, allows me to create partitions on the drive, but then when I go to format it, I'm told it's a virtual drive. Also, when I attempt to mount the drive, I get the error "mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified" I also do not get an hda or hda1 icon on my desktop if this helps.

    Is this an issue with the harddrive itself, or am I doing something wrong? Any recommendations to just format it with a windows boot floppy and try this again? Yes, I am new to knoppix, but each day is a learning experience. Any assistance would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you should NOT try to mount it, the disk should be 100% UNMOUNTED when partitioning.
    are you root?
    did you commit the partitioning?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    13
    I believe I am logged in as root - is there any way to tell?

    I attempted to commit the partitioning, it stated it was successful, and after I clicked Ok, the PC locked hard and had to be rebooted.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you open a console and it looks like this you are root
    17:27 ~ #
    if I open a console as normal user i get
    17:27 ~ $
    the diference is that root has # and users have $.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    13
    I was logged in as user - but got it fixed and was able to transfer data to it.

    I'm assuming I was just not doing the steps in the right order? So you have to be a root user in order to partition/format the drive?

    now.... to move onto the hard drive install FAQ Onwards and upwards!

Similar Threads

  1. Formating with Qparted
    By Fiddler in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2009, 11:19 PM
  2. Trying to partition drive, Qparted doesn't seem to work!
    By tom31366 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
  3. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  4. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  5. Qparted errors
    By manatarms1775 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99