-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Knoppix Live

Originally Posted by
grandad
Hi Harry. Thanks for the sympathy on my illness.
We help people get started in Knoppix here. It's doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, sick or healthy, handicapped or not, black or white, and so on. The first thing I did was try to respond to your question. At the end of my post I added one line to say that your health was not an issue. I really don't think we need to see people start including in every post heir own stories of personal tragedy, either as "human interest" or as an attempt to get more and better responses. The first thing you responded to was that. Too bad about your illness, but I've got my own problems and I don't bring them here. If you want help with Knoppix that is freely offered. If you want to post about your health there are likely other places on the Internet that it would be better received, it is off topic here. I don't appreciate being called heartless just for point this out.

Originally Posted by
grandad
"I did state in my plea for help that I had obtained the Knoppix Live CD. I bought it professionally produced(is that the correct term?) and paid for. No download. No burning. No missed or corrupted files.
Anyway Harry, since then I have tried again and this time I booted up and entered 'Failsafe'. This time everything loaded in onto my system, in a few seconds at most. I was presented with a lovely desktop and all the relevant screens, etc, BUT.....no mouse. The mouse pointer was on screen, but inopperative. This obviosly was not the way to boot the CD.
So back to the original boot again and sure enough the boot begins but stops, telling me that it is looking for CDROM in /dev/hdb.
You mentioned failsafe but didn't mention if you tried the nodam cheat code. If not then you should really try that. If you did, and your likely not going to care to hear this, then I think that your problem is that you "bought it professionally produced". We've seen a large number of problems from people burning the CD's at high speed, they just don't boot, or don't boot right. Here are just a couple of many links I could provide: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17788 and http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=78925#78925
When someone is cranking out CD's to resell and make a few bucks, he likely is writing them as fast as his little CD writer will go. So my best guess in that, if you already tried the nodma cheat code, that your system just will not boot properly from that fast burned CDR.
I can't do anything about the guy who sold you the disk (if that really is even the problem). There is plenty of information about how to download a copy of the ISO and burn it properly on this site. You can start with the documentation link at the top of this page and read the downloading faq. Key things that might help you get a good result: Bittorrent is a much better way to download the iso than from the mirrors. If you do download from the mirrors it is absolutely critical that you check the md5 sum, if you are unwilling to do this then do not use the mirrors. The iso that you download must be burnt "as an image", not just drug into the file area of you software. It must not be "unpacked" (don't extract any files from the ISO). Do not use any feature in your burning software to make the CD bootable, if burnt properly it will be bootable, but any option to make it bootable will assure failure. I can't give you the exact burning steps without knowing what burning software you have and use. The burning software that comes with XP does not burn ISO files properly by itself, but there are several free packages that can be used to burn ISO files on various OSs. Ask if you have doubts. And, obviously, burn the iso at a slow speed (4x if available on your drive and media, no faster than 8x in any case). Use a 700 meg CDRW if you have one for your first test, otherwise use a 700 meg CDR blank. The ISO, if the md5 sum is correct, will fit on a 700 meg CDR, although some people misread it's size.
Similar Threads
-
By carlo67 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-17-2007, 09:49 AM
-
By Dummie in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-20-2006, 10:22 PM
-
By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
-
By EmoRock in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00