Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: University Distribution

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    University Distribution

    Hi there,

    Firstly I want to say how much I appreciate the work that has gone into knoppix. I hope that someone will be able to help me with my problem.

    Last night I had the idea that my university (Sheffield,UK) should produce its own linux live-cd to give to new students. I figured it would benefit the reputation of the university, and also the students and staff. This morning I pitched the idea to the head of computer science, who basically said no, but I really don't think he needs much more persuading to at least entertain the idea. His problem is the work load he sees in creating a linux distro, and he thinks that if it is not updated every three months the reputation of the uni would be tarnished.

    What I need to swing the balance is a polished, university branded disc to show him. Now I am certainly no linux expert , but I am willing to learn to 'get the ball rolling' because I believe this could be truly beneficial for everyone at the uni. I am also hoping that once the idea has acceptance from the uni, students will run with the idea and make my initial rebranding something much more.

    A few questions:

    Are there any legal implications of a uni customising and rebranding knoppix?

    Would Klaus or anyone qualified be interested in assisting me in a rebrand? (I understand this is a big ask, but it could benefit knoppix too)

    Is there anything else I should consider?



    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: University Distribution

    Quote Originally Posted by jimanyjim
    Are there any legal implications of a uni customising and rebranding knoppix?
    None as far as I can tell. I wrote a guide for making your own customized Knoppix HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts have had nothing but good positive feedback from it. I also wrote a review of the book "Knoppix Hacks" for Newsforge.com Review: "Knoppix Hacks". In book, Klaus Knopper finishes the forward with:
    Perhaps some part of this book will encourage you to create your own live CD with your own toolkit collection installed. You can do this using the included Knoppix CD as a base or by downloading a fresh version from the Internet. This book shows you how. Happy Hacking!
    From this I gather that we all are OK to make derivatives of Knoppix. See also this list of Debian dervived distros http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=independence. Check that list and you will find at least a dozen Knoppix dervived distros.

    From a legal point of view (in my opinion), all materials distributed on a Knoppix dervived CD should be Free as in freedom: either licensed under GPL, LGPL, BSD, and other Free licenses. A legal grey area is the combination of Free software pieces and proprietary or tightly controlled pieces. If a user was given a live CD that included closed/Not-Free software, then the user can not legally distribute this live CD and this takes the away the freedom to give away Knoppix to anyone and only empowers the original creator of the closed/Not-Free software. The question , to which I don't have an answer is: Does a closed Not-Free proprietary program on live CD trump the GPL and other FreeSoftware on the live CD? We received Knoppix for Free & all derivatives should remain Free.

    Would Klaus or anyone qualified be interested in assisting me in a rebrand? (I understand this is a big ask, but it could benefit knoppix too)
    Probably best if you find his email & ask him, but for myself, I am too busy to get involved in other people's projects.

    Is there anything else I should consider?
    Time & responsibility. Do you have the time to make & test a live CD distro? As someone who has written a HOWTO and knows this subject, I can assure you that it takes a heap of time do make something different than standard Knoppix and worthy of being distributed. Do you have the time to support it? Would you want the responsibility to support it? If very little was changed (icons, wallpapers, sounds) from Knoppix in your live CD, then most often the members of this forum are eager to help since the impact of the changes would be minimal.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks very much for replying.

    I think that initially, the disc would be very much a 'rebranding' as apposed to one with whole-sale changes. That is, icons changed, theme changed, background and KDE loading screen changed. Perhaps I could rearrange the start-menu so that apps are arranged by subject?
    My hope is that students who like the idea will jump on board and create a community like you have here.

    thanks

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brasilia/Brazil
    Posts
    31
    jimanyjim,
    On http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18222 I am making available a script I developed with the important help of some friends. Itīs named knxhdremaster_en-1.2.sh. Itīs aimedl to remaster the knoppix box you customize on your hd. That means, you install knoopix, take out whatever you want, install additional packages at your own discretion, configure the panel, the splash screen, the menu, the background, etc... and simply run the script. It will build a live CD exactly as you have customized. Itīs like you are doing the"rebrand" you mentioned. If youīre gonna trying it, please, pickup the last one available on the address mentioned on the 2nd page of that topic. You should also follow the instructions I presented there, not mentioning that you must have available at least 1GB of combined RAM+SWAP in order to run it properly. It means, if you have, say, 256MB RAM youīll need to set a partition or a swap file of about 750MB.
    Any doubts, please post and Iīll appreciate to help you as far as my knowledge alllows me.
    Cheers.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi jimanyjim,

    I have a simple step by step dialog to make a clone of a KNOPPIX/KANOTIX
    live boot-able CD or DVD. Basically you can add content, background, boot
    options, change the intial html introduction, and save desktop preferences.
    This might be a simple way to start.
    http://grow-knoppix.berlios.de/
    Best Wishes
    paradocs

Similar Threads

  1. Live Multi-Distribution DVD
    By Distro-Don in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 12:03 AM
  2. minimal 3.4 based distribution
    By sylphin in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 02:41 AM
  3. Making my own Knoppix Distribution
    By StealthMaster in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 06:28 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 11:31 AM
  5. Suggestion for DVD distribution
    By pj in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99