Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Broadcom WiFi Setup

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    GA, USA
    Posts
    2

    Broadcom WiFi Setup

    I have an eMachine m5312 (and dead hard drive, LOVE the Live CD) with a Broadcom WiFi chip running Knoppix 3.8.1. Here is how I made it work:

    1. Connected the system via the wired card (was automatically detected during boot)
    2. Google searched 'bcmwl5 linux driver' and found http://www.spiration.co.uk/ppost/1219 which had a link to the driver
    3. Downloaded the following http://www.silfreed.net/download/hpz...P23107A.tar.gz
    4. Extracted it to the home folder
    5. Went to kde\knoppix\network/internet\ndiswrapper configuration
    6. Choose bcmwl5a.inf
    7. Went to kde\knoppix\network/internet\wlan configuration and followed the wizard to match my routers settings
    8. Opened knoppix root terminal
    9. ifconfig eth0 down
    10. pump -i wlan0
    11. iwconfig (to make sure it picked up the router)
    12. ping www.google.com to make sure it worked

    The above worked for me.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2
    You gave some very useful information. I have an eMachines M6805 (Amd64) with the Broadcom 43xx WiFi chip. I still need some help to get it working, if you would be so kind as to offer assistance.

    I got the driver downloaded and extracted to a usb drive and booted up the 3.8.1 Live cd for amd64. My wired ethernet was recognized and internet access working. I started the ndiswrapper config, chose the bcmwl5a.inf from my usb drive and all seemed to go well.

    Starting the wlan configuration, I was not sure what to enter in some of the choices. I have an SMC router with wep 128, mac addressing enabled and have my essid broadcast disabled. I entered the ssid and wep key but didn't know what to choose on some other fields. I think I chose 'managed' for one of the choices. The 'ifconfig eth0 down' went ok, but when I entered the 'pump -i wlan0', I received an 'Operation Failed' message. Below is the result of 'iwconfig':

    lo no wireless extensions
    eth0 no wireless extensions
    sit0 no wireless extensions
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
    mode:managed Frequency 2.462 GHz Access Point:00:00:00:00:00:00
    Bit Rate:54Mb/s TX-Powet:25 dBm
    RTS thru:2347 B Fragment thru:2346 B
    Encryption key (my 26 digit key...) Security mode:restricted
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-10 dBm Noise level:-256dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    I could disable wep and mac addressing and broadcast my ssid if you think that would solve the problem, but I don't want to keep the network unprotected in the long run. Please let me know what values I should try on the wlan config setup or what I should try next. Thanks in advance.
    Gary

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2
    SUCCESS!!!
    I tried again leaving all protection enabled (ssid broadcast disabled, mac addressing, wep 128, spi, nat) and the wireless card kicked right in. In the wavelan configuration I entered only the ssid, mode (Managed), wep key and left all others empty.

    Is there any way to make this automatic when I'm booting from the 3.8.1 live cd for amd64? My usb flash drive is recognized on startup. Can I put something there to start and configure the wlan0 automatically?

    Wow, it feels great to get this working. I'm no longer a total noob, just mostly noob. Thanks again to barbaric35 for the original post.

    Gary

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    GA, USA
    Posts
    2

    Save Settings

    1. Click KDE, Knoppix, Configuration, Save Configuration
    2. Save it to USB Device
    3. When booting up type the cheat code 'knoppix myconfig=scan' you can do the same thing with your home directory if the drive is big enough

    Barbaric35

Similar Threads

  1. a) NTFS, b) Broadcom Wi-Fi
    By nulldev in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 06:42 PM
  2. Got wi-fi with 5.3.1 with broadcom and WEP
    By stevesr0 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 04:52 AM
  3. Im a nOOb, help with acer aspire 3000 wifi setup
    By goldfingermafia in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2006, 07:43 AM
  4. Broadcom 440 NIC Support
    By jimbo-62 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 04:12 PM
  5. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00