Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Question and New to Linux

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Question and New to Linux

    OK, I ahve multiple questions.
    1. My computers has 16 MB (no clue why the manufacturer did this) of unallocated space. Can i hide this from windows and use it to store things for Linux? iF so how.
    2. Can i install/use more linux programs without doing a HD install?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    I have a little information for you, but not the whole answers, but I hope it helps some.

    1. I do alot of work on computers, and I often see those small slices of extra space left over, some one please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that it has to do with the type of partitioning that the Hdd recieved on how much is left over. I believe that is also has to do with the physical disk size and the formatted disk size as long as the file system clusters. I am not entirely sure, but this is what I believe.

    2. Yes you can install more programs w/o doing a Hdd install, however you do need some type of media to store them on. You have multiple options of doing this. If you want to spend the time, and have the space, a remastering would be the best. If you don't, you can put a persistent home dir on an external device and use some programs that way. I know firefox and azureus don't need any other files that what is in their folders. (azureus does however need java). I believe that I also saw a discussion about being able to install other programs on external devices, that needed packages and the such, but I can't seem to find it right now.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4
    OK, so I think i will look for a cheap thumb drive or something. I will put it on that. If anyone knows how PLEASE tell me.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 10:18 AM
  2. NIC problems after HDD install - new to linux question...
    By sdalek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:48 AM
  3. New-bee Linux desktop question (KDE / Gnome).
    By massai in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:51 PM
  4. General Linux question
    By massai in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 02:02 AM
  5. Games in Linux question by newbie
    By mldaalder in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99