Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: KDM won't load, returns error: no screens found

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    KDM won't load, returns error: no screens found

    Good morning all!

    I'm a new Linux/Knoppix/Debian user. I've used computers that are DOS, Win95, Win98, WinXP based since like forever, but this is my first foray into Linux. Been running Knoppix 3.7 and just lately 3.8 and finally decided I wanted to load it to my HD.

    After partitioning, formatting, and installing, I remove the CD and try to load from the HD. All goes well, until it tries to load KDM. The screens goes blank for a second, and I'm left at the root@LinuxBox prompt. If I dump KDM's errors to a file, the file has a lot of "no symbols found" errors, then returns a Fatal Server Error: no screens found.

    If I slap the CD back in, the system boots fine. I beleive the problem is with the \etc\X11\XF86Config-4 file. Other boards have noted that this files doesn't install correctly, and that "all you have to do" is replace the one on \dev\hda1 with the one from the CDROM. But how do I get at the one on the CD-ROM? I can't find the \etc\X11\XF86Config-4 file on the Knoppix 3.7 (or 3. CDROM. I cannot even delete the one that's on the hda1!!!

    Is there any easier way to fix all this? I love the Knoppix/Debian concept, but I'm at my wits end.

    Thanks in advance!
    ben

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    at the root@LinuxBox prompt, have you
    kxconfig
    to see what knoppix has auto detected ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2
    Ah ha! GREAT suggestion. I didn't even know that there was a setup utility like this for KDM.

    Okay, I ran kxconfig and it seemed to have found everything okay.

    Video Card: NVidia Riva TNT (actually, it's a Diamond Viper V330, which is a Nvidia Riva 128 chipset)
    Monitor: Envision monitor that I'm using
    Keyboard: found it
    Mouse: well, it's telling me that my PS2 mouse is USB, but it works!

    I beleive everything autodetected just fine.

    But, you got me thinking! I took a look at the KDM error log, and found that in addition to the "no screens found" error, that it was saying that it couldn't start in 16 bit resolution. So, I used kxconfig to change my resolution to 24 bit, and guess what?

    IT'S WORKING!!! Just finished rebooting, as I had initially set it to 640x480 resolution mode, which stinks. It's now loaded up and running like a champ in 1024x768, which is about the maximum capability of my monitor.

    THANKS MUCH!
    ben

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    licks index finger, draws another line on the wall under my name.
    smiles smugly to self.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 08:48 PM
  2. Notebook screens stay black + crc error
    By Vollkorn in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 05:46 PM
  3. Nvidia 6800, No screens found
    By dntchaseme in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
  4. No screens found
    By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 10:14 PM
  5. mkboot returns ERROR: Can't read /vmlinux
    By ichoeff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2003, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$165.58