-
Downloading Knoppix 3.3, or the best route toward 2.4 kernel
Hi! I'm new to Knoppix but not new to Linux in general, although my
sysadmin experience is medium-light (installing and running my own
RH and SuSE servers, not recompiling the kernel or building my own
distributions).
I'm trying to put together a Linux for my company's telephony-oriented box
(an embedded PC). We have been deploying on NT4 up until now.
We would like to deploy the OS on a read-only partition, so the
the thought is to begin with a running Knoppix install, remaster to
remove all the stuff we don't need and to add the specialized drivers,
and then copy from the cd ISO image to a hard disk partition, leaving
in place all the ramdisk symlinks and such that allows Knoppix to
run from the CD-ROM. It might also make sense to uncompress
some or all of the distribution, since we may be able to fit everything
we need in 700M uncompressed. . . This part entails a lot of questions
for another area of this forum; I'm just giving it as background info
to explain what I'm trying to accomplish. . .
We use some specialized telephony PCI cards that don't have kernel
2.6 support yet so I either need Knoppix 3.3, or retrofit a 2.4 kernel
into 3.8.1, which doesn't sound appealing to me (read: too hard and
not worth the effort).
I can't find 3.3 on any of the mirrors 'cause it's so old. . .
What I'm looking for is:
1. A download site for 3.3, or
2. Some good reasons why I should instead retrofit the 2.4 kernel into
3.8.1, and some clue about what that entails. 
THANKS!
-
Senior Member
registered user
3.6 IIRC gives you both kernels -- yes, a choice! You can get it here . But hurry, hurry, sooner or later they'll update the site!
You may eventually want to update the kernel (while staying in 2.4) to catch up with some of the backported security fixes, but this will be easier from 2.4 than 2.6, I think.
-
Thanks, I'll give that a whirl!
-
Senior Member
registered user
http://download.norcomcable.ca/Linux...2003-11-19-EN/
"3.6 IIRC gives you both kernels -- yes, a choice!" on your link there is 3.7. Any way, put KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN/ in Google and you will find somethin usable.
Similar Threads
-
By tbaror in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 10:11 AM
-
By kornface13 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:16 PM
-
By kessragnell in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-25-2004, 06:59 AM
-
By sunray in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-07-2004, 06:21 PM
-
By transmogrifier in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-13-2003, 03:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$199.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00